Pump and Motor Replacment Planning

So I have ordered the SuperFlow VS and the price was $629. I could not justify the much higher price of the IntelliFlo for my simple system, despite the superior motor claims and improved electronics and flow setting options. Also there we no incentives in effect from my power supplier or the manufacturer.

While I wait for the new pump I am planning the swap and will be addressing issues with my pad and plumbing. My pad has been lifted by tree roots and sits at about a 10 degree angle so I want to get that back closer to level. With my current plumbing I also have issues priming the pump basket after having the lid off as the added water simply flows back down the intake into the skimmer. Eventually the pump will start pulling water but it seems to take too much time and I don't like running the pump without the water flow. Is there a sound plumbing fix for this? I also believe I can eliminate a 90 degree elbow in the return line with a little repositioning.

mas985 I am very impressed with your pool/pump spreadsheets and am amazed at the amount of work and detail you put into them, thank you. I have been using the PSI & Vac to GPM spreadsheet. One question regarding the pull down options when choosing a pump system, I notice there is no listing for the Pentair WFE-8. I have selected your listing of the WFDS-8 which is a dual speed and using the higher rpm, is that close enough or is there a better option?

mas985 I am very impressed with your pool/pump spreadsheets and am amazed at the amount of work and detail you put into them, thank you. I have been using the PSI & Vac to GPM spreadsheet. One question regarding the pull down options when choosing a pump system, I notice there is no listing for the Pentair WFE-8. I have selected your listing of the WFDS-8 which is a dual speed and using the higher rpm, is that close enough or is there a better option?
The head curves are the same for the two pumps so flow rate estimates will be the same. However, the WFE-8 is slightly more efficient than the WFDS-8 on high speed. So the power estimates for full speed will be a little high (~10%).

I'm leaning towards installing an outdoor surge protector to protect the electronics of my pump. My system is wired 220 and utilizes two 20 amp breakers. The surge protector is installed between the breakers and the pump correct? Any recommendations on brands and sizing of surge protector?

The Intermatic one PS3000 is an easy install I’m told, if you have room with a punch out. That’s what I’m looking at.

I’m still uncertain on these. Long ago had a home have a surge and it destroyed a lot of electronics, but are the surge protectors really advised for all or just of you have lightning concerns and so on?

Yes I've have looked at the Intermatic and there is some mention of it in older posts. Here in the west we do not experience the ground strike lightning rather any spikes are due to accidents or infrastructure failures in the grid. Although they are rare, they are an issue with electronics.

Getting close now to finishing this project......back to work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.