New IG build League City, TX

Great call on the light! Stone and tile have a great contrast...

Thanks Ctrav! That’s my wife’s doing. She picked it, I just agreed. I’m not very good at matching things according to my wife. I will take credit for the light. That was all me!!

Your pool build is one of the many I’ve read in my quest to learn as much as possible about pools. I thought I had a decent size backyard till I saw yours!

Pool tile is finally complete! It took a few days but no complaints.
FE3436C9-2AAC-481E-8173-C54BBA64D258.jpg
DDCFCEED-C5B8-4834-86F1-4680B03E58EB.jpg
Electrical is done too, but waiting on the city inspection. That won’t happen till Monday at the earliest. After inspection passes, our PB will mark out decking. I put a couple of 150-watt equivalent LED bulbs in the light above the pool equipment. One is pointed toward the pool and yard and the other is aimed at the equipment pad. Those are some very bright bulbs. It lights up the yard and pool quite nicely. The equipment pad is illuminated like a football stadium at night. I put those same bulbs in the light fixture at the opposite end of the pool. Needless to say the backyard is now well lit. Maybe too well lit. Luckily, I don’t have any neighbors on that side, so no one should complain.

That came out great! LOVE the colors together! Well done wife! Wait until you get the plaster and water!

Here is a set of links I put together to help you get the best, longest lasting plaster you can hope to:

How to set up to have the best plaster job: A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes

Brief snap shots of different start ups: Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Full run down on the best BUT hardest start up: A Bicarb Start-up guide for TFP members

Next best start up BUT it leaves out to NOT put water in the pool right away. Wait at least 6 hours after plaster is put in before putting water in! The back of the card is what you want: google "NPC start up card". (I can't link to pdf files for some reason.)

Make sure to share this info with your pool builder!

Kim:kim:

Thank you for the links Kim!

No worries on the NPC start up link. I already have the card saved to my phone. I actually got it from another thread I read on here some time ago.

Yesterday, our project manager came over to mark the outline for our decking. Good thing I was home so we could make some changes right away.

First, the walkway coming around the corner of the house from the back door(right side of pic) narrowed down too much for me so I had him widen it.
F593684E-9C30-4AE5-949E-B55C4A4DFDB0.jpg
53CD6827-FEC8-4419-8BA6-CFBD89226427.jpg

Second, we decided to extend the deck on the left side of drawing. There is a large window there in what is currently the formal dining room. Right now, the only thing in that room is a china cabinet. The room is pretty much unused and open to the main hallway. My wife came up with the idea to knock out the window and put in some French doors and create a wet room. Put some cabinets and some towels and whatever. Also, the powder bathroom is right next to it. Might have to wait a year or so to get that project done but it sounds like a good idea, especially for parties. I guess when the pool is done that will be my next project to research. Hopefully it won’t be too bad.
97795294-39ED-4E3E-A960-8B107347DC69.jpg

It’s going to add approximately another 120sf of decking. I keep hearing in my head to add as much decking as you can now b/c it will never be cheaper(or so I’ve read) but this I the third time we’ve expanded it. Not pictured in that drawing is the walkway we are doing behind the raised wall/waterfalls.

Well, next up is the plumber and the gas line. Then decking and finally plaster!

You are right about the decking. What started as a small pad around the pool turned out to be a couple hundred sq ft smaller than my first house. Adding on never matches the original concrete and the cost is always more expensive. Plus you have to go through all the mess again.

You are right about the decking. What started as a small pad around the pool turned out to be a couple hundred sq ft smaller than my first house. Adding on never matches the original concrete and the cost is always more expensive. Plus you have to go through all the mess again.

I definitely don’t want to go through this mess again and this is the best time to get it all done. I just hope it’ll be enough decking!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well done on the addition to the decking. That will be the finishing touch for sure!

I love your wife's idea of a wet room. Put in some pretty tile as well as some towel hooks and you are set to go. You will LOVE having the bathroom right there as well. Keeps the pitter patter of wet feet from the main part of the house.

That decking on the left side. I am hoping they painted it out like a solid curve line from the back pool wall to the house instead of dipping in and back out a bit. That will be a pain to mow so.............just in case that has I might even have it connected to the equipment pad as well with a small bit of extra concrete.

Great update! As for decking, it will never be enough. Even after adding almost 200 sq ft to my original design, sometimes when I'm outside I think I should have added more. I'm sure you'll be happy at the end of it all.

We went from 805 to 980 to 1,070 and finally at 1,190sf. This has to be our final expansion of decking. If we keep gong, the whole yard is gonna end up concreted. Even with this much decking, I’m sure I will be standing out there one day thinking the same thing................I should’ve added more.:cool:

Well done on the addition to the decking. That will be the finishing touch for sure!

I love your wife's idea of a wet room. Put in some pretty tile as well as some towel hooks and you are set to go. You will LOVE having the bathroom right there as well. Keeps the pitter patter of wet feet from the main part of the house.

That decking on the left side. I am hoping they painted it out like a solid curve line from the back pool wall to the house instead of dipping in and back out a bit. That will be a pain to mow so.............just in case that has I might even have it connected to the equipment pad as well with a small bit of extra concrete.

I agree the wet room is a great idea. If we could’ve thought about doing that before the build I would’ve budgeted for making the door into the project. Oh well, at least the deck will be whenever we are ready. Hopefully we can make it happen later next year.

The decking on on the left side actually blends into the original curve. It’s kind of hard to tell from the paint on the dirt. I just couldn’t replicate it very well trying to draw a line with my finger.

Good to know. That is what I thought but wanted to make sure. Will it also shoot over to the equipment pad?

Kim:kim: (who cannot draw on a piece of paper let alone a computer LOL)

There will be a gap at the equipment pad for the gas line. PB recommended not connecting the pad to the deck.

Any recommendations on which TF test kit to buy? I know I should get the TF100 but there are many bundles available but I’m not sure if I need all the other stuff. I am pretty sure I need the TF100 and the speed stir.

If your PB does not want to put concrete there then you can put a pretty stepping stone or two. There will be times you will be on the way to your pool or coming out of it so may be barefoot. Without any thing there you will pick up dirt, grass, stuff on your feet if there is nothing there to walk on.

This morning I awoke to see plumbers at the house. Thus far my builder had always emailed me to let me know when someone was coming to work. Today was the first time I didn’t get an email, but I was pleasantly surprised to see them here. They came to run the gas line to the heater and to connect my backwash line to the main drain from the house. They dug half of it with a machine and hand dig the rest. Looked like a big pain. That’s probably why it cost so much for such a long gas line. They dug about 18in or so down. I should’ve measured. I will tomorrow. The pipe is some kind of yellow plastic looking thing. I don’t know what gas lines are made of but I thought it would be metal. Anybody know? I assume this gets inspected by the city or they would’ve buried it today.

89A9A8D4-4D73-4773-9144-F5A4C4C92673.jpgFCE42752-F642-4C34-923D-D6757F74336D.jpg
C19EF77B-9586-42FB-9278-6F2E22442006.jpg
AEE00150-60AF-456D-8174-AE98688DEB88.jpg
Not sure why my pics ended up sideways.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.