Adding liquid CYA and calcium to pool

Sep 20, 2018
N TN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I need to add liquid CYA and a large amount of calcium to my pool so the water will be balanced before we close it. Last year we had a lot of staining from the algaecides so I want to bump up the calcium level to decrease the chance that this happens again. After I add the liquid CYA to increase CYA levels to 30 or more, how long do I need to wait with the pump running to add the calcium? Both chemicals are supposed to be broadcast around the pool with the pump running so I wasn’t sure how long I needed to wait after adding the liquid CYA before adding the calcium. I also need to know what the best way is to get large amounts of calcium into the water without causing any other problems. I need to add at least 20 pounds of it to get to the manufacture’s recommended minimum level of 250 so I need to know the best way to accomplish this. I assume that I would need to divide up the doses but I wasn’t sure how much to add each time and how long to wait before adding more. I just started maintaining our pool myself so I’m trying to get everything balanced this year before closing it instead of paying someone else to do it.

If you're going to use liquid CYA, make sure you really shake it up good. It gets very thick and settled at the bottom and you don't want to miss getting all of that out.

You can add the CYA in front of a return then give it a good brushing since it is so heavy. You would *never* want to add granular CYA this way!

By the time you've got it mixed in well you can scatter and brush in the calcium. You can do it in two batches, waiting a day in between if you like. I just like to make sure things are brushed well so nothing settles at the bottom.

Occasionally calcium will cloud up the water, but if so it should clear again in a day.

Maddie :flower:

Why the algaecides? Truly no need for them. And if you really wish to use one, only one is recognized by TFP. Poly quat 60. Do NOT use any metal or ammonia based algaecides.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.