cya dropping

gussie1966

Bronze Supporter
Jun 11, 2017
Florida
Ok so my pump was down and been slamming pool to kill algae. Vac & scrub 2/3 times a day:confused::confused::confused:

Cya was 20. Added cya to bring to 30
pH is 7.5

last night FC 12
this morning 10
noon 10
this afternoon 9

Each time added chlorine to bring back up to slam

Cya now below 20 or zero. Black dot doesnt go away

Pool clear but algae trails on bottom but considerably less than yesterday morning and no longer green water

My question is am I adding enough chlorine to slam? where is cya going?

Thanks in advance for your help

So you did it the correct TFP way! Good job! Is is all dissolved?

What brand did you use? There have been some reports of the Clorox brand not getting the level as high as it should be with the amount added.

We will get to the bottom of this!

Kim:kim:

So you did it the correct TFP way! Good job! Is is all dissolved?

What brand did you use? There have been some reports of the Clorox brand not getting the level as high as it should be with the amount added.

We will get to the bottom of this!

It was chlorox. I live in rural area and thats all available. Maybe I should order some

FC 14 this morning so thats better. Cya maybe 20

Still see algae on in spots on bottom but better.

Lets give the CYA until Saturday to make sure we don't over shoot. Until then use this chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart for your FC level for the SLAM. We will call your CYA 20 to make sure you have enough FC to kill that algae.

Are you brushing the pool at least once a day? Twice would be even better but that thing called life could get in the way so.........

Lets give the CYA until Saturday to make sure we don't over shoot. Until then use this chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart for your FC level for the SLAM. We will call your CYA 20 to make sure you have enough FC to kill that algae.

Are you brushing the pool at least once a day? Twice would be even better but that thing called life could get in the way so.........

yes 2-3 times a day

Test morning and night.

Pool is clear but definitely algae on bottom but definitely better than four days ago

FC is at 7. I will add chlorine to get back to 10 based on cya 20. will brush and vac and recheck FC at 9pm

Thanks for all the help. We're gonna beat it yet lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Last night added chlorine up to slam of 10 for cya 20

This morning FC 10. CC is .5 or less. Cya appears to be maybe 25

Still see spots of algae. continue to slam. Water is Crystal clear

Will check again at noon. Its HOT in FL

Continue slam over

I am right down I-10 from you so know what you are saying about the heat!!!

when you say you are seeing spots of algae do you green algae or the dead, gray algae?

That was a great overnight test! Now just have to get rid of what you are seeing!

Algae looks yellowish when stirred up.

at noon, FC was 9
at 6pm, FC was 6

But I think I found the source maybe. So after brushing/vac this evening i pulled the skimmer basket out, tapped on post to get couple leaves out and just happened to really be paying attention i guess but there is this slime ring underneath the basket rim, greenish black. So soaked the basket in chlorine and scrubbed it and inside of skimmer

any thoughts

Oh finding that is great!!! Good job!

I would also use a toothbrush around everything to make sure there is nothing hiding in there.

Do a search for "mustard algae" then get back with me and let me know if this is what you are seeing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.