Adding Pentair Intellichlor ?

Like a dog with a bone...

I used this question as my motivator to call Pentair support. I have a problem with my IC, so I called them to set up a warranty service. While on the phone I asked about ScreenLogic and he confirmed that the adapter does, indeed, communicate with Pentair servers, and transmits your IP address to the servers as I described.

I've said this before: while I have issues with my Pentair gear's reliability, the tech support I've always received is top notch. They're going to fix my IC, they're honoring my 3-year warranty, and mailing me a new o-ring for my IntellipH that really isn't under warranty any more (as I installed it myself). Plus he and I chatted for a bit about upgrading my ET and other topics. Always a pleasure dealing with Pentair support.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread about this ScreenLogic question, my original point stands: if you're going to configure your firewall for the ScreenLogic adapter, you have to allow it to "talk" to Pentair...

Dirk,

I believe that the protocol adapter has a static IP address. I still doubt that Pentair has anything to do with talking to my ScreenLogic remotely.

It would be interesting to know for sure...

Jim R.

Dirk,

I believe that the protocol adapter has a static IP address. I still doubt that Pentair has anything to do with talking to my ScreenLogic remotely.

It would be interesting to know for sure...

Jim R.

There are two IP addresses involved. The Adaptor's, on your local LAN (internal), and the external IP address assigned to your router. By default the Adaptor's address is dynamic. Your router assigns the adapter its address, just as it assigns addresses to your laptop, or printer. The Adaptor can also be assigned a static address, if you run your LAN that way (I do). That's what the "Configure IP Info..." button is for on the startup screen of ScreenLogic. Have a look, you'll see it says dynamic is the default. It is through that internal IP address that your computer "talks" to ScreenLogic.

But for the mobile app to communicate with ScreenLogic while you are away from home, it needs to first communicate with your router, and then your router forwards that communication to the Adaptor, via its assigned LAN IP address. The router's external IP is like a phone number. Without the phone number the mobile app can't "make the call." But unlike a phone number, the IP address assigned to it by your ISP can, and does, change for random reasons, without you ever knowing it. So unless there is a way to "look up" your router's address, the mobile app won't be able to connect. It'd be like trying to get a hold of your friend that just changed his phone number. You can't call him to ask him what his new phone number is!

The Adaptor regularly "phones home," to Pentair, and registers your router's external IP address with its server (whatever it is that day). When you fire up your mobile app while away from home, instead of trying the address it last used, it also "phones home," to Pentair, presents your six-digit ScreenLogic code and password, and asks "What's the address for home today?" Pentair provides the current address, and then the mobile app uses that to connect to your router, which then connects to your Adapter. I don't know for sure that the Mobile app doesn't first try the last known address, it might. I just know that it uses Pentair servers for the address when it needs to. Nor do I know how it finds the Adaptor when you're home, which for me is always faster. There are other tricks two devices use to find each other on a LAN, I'm not very knowledgable about that.

That is both confusing and greatly simplified, and I probably mix up metaphors and exact vocabulary, but that is basically what's happening behind the scenes. And Pentair (or at least the one tech I spoke with today) confirmed all that... He even mentioned that when their servers are down, then nobody's mobile app can connect (at least when out of range of their wifi).

Pentair's server may not do any talking to your Adaptor for any of that. The adaptor just sends your IP address to Pentair, maybe once a day, every hour, I wouldn't know, but regularly. The Mobile app requests the data, and that's when Pentair answers and "talks" to the Mobile app, to deliver your IP address.

Pentair, can, however, talk to your Adaptor, when they have your code (like if you request help with tech support). They'll ask you for your code, plug it into their software, their software will do the same thing as your Mobile app, it'll present the code to the same server and the server will tell the tech support's software what your IP address is, and then their software can make the connection with your router and run your pool.

I could run your pool, too, with my ScreenLogic software, just by changing the six digit code in the startup screen from mine to yours. At no point would I need your IP address, because my ScreenLogic software would get that from Pentair, using your code. I'd need your password, too, unless you left yours blank, which is why I suggested that you all make sure you have a password set.

I PM'd someone the other day, because they had inadvertently exposed their Adaptor code. Which they promptly removed. With that, someone could conceivably run his/her pool.

Did I explain it any better that time around? ;) I could go longer... :blah:

I could run your pool, too, with my ScreenLogic software, just by changing the six digit code in the startup screen from mine to yours. At no point would I need your IP address, because my ScreenLogic software would get that from Pentair, using your code. I'd need your password, too, unless you left yours blank, which is why I suggested that you all make sure you have a password set.

I PM'd someone the other day, because they had inadvertently exposed their Adaptor code. Which they promptly removed. With that, someone could conceivably run his/her pool.

Great reason to establish a passcode for sure. Hmmm. Now if I can just get my neighbor's EasyTouch passcode, I could have LOTS OF FUN at his expense (pool light, spa heater) :party:

Reminds me of the following:

KIRK: You have to learn why things work on a starship.
SPOCK: Each ship has its own combination code.
KIRK: To prevent an enemy do what we're attempting. Using our console to order Reliant to lower her shields.
SPOCK: Assuming he hasn't changed the combination. He's quite intelligent.

Reminds me. Since a lot of us are here because of pool guy and/or pool builder failure, or run ins, if either installed and/or configured your ScreenLogic system, and you no longer want them to have access, you need to change your password. If they retained it, they or their employees could mess with your pool if they were so inclined. That's the first thing I did when I fired the guy that ruined my pool.

The hard part for me is just getting it physically connected lol... It doesn't matter what the pentair screenlogic does if it is on a netwok with an internal address and ports I can make it do what I want. It is just networking. I've hacked most of the ip devices in my home so I can access them externally. That is the fun part.

Great list, 100% agree. Hopefully your PB can just do 1 and 2 all at once. I love ScreenLogic, can't imagine not having it. Also love my SWCG. Also love my Robot.

I would get the IC60, it's just nominally more than the IC40.

I will check out the IC60. I might do the Screenlogic this winter. Watched a few videos and think I can handle it..... Maybe...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i,

You don't need a bypass loop, you have an IntelliFlo pump!!! I run my pump at 1200 RPM and there is plenty of flow.. I don't have a heater, so your RPM might need to be a little higher, but not all that much.

What makes you believe that you will need a bypass loop?

Thanks,

Jim R.

i,

You don't need a bypass loop, you have an IntelliFlo pump!!! I run my pump at 1200 RPM and there is plenty of flow.. I don't have a heater, so your RPM might need to be a little higher, but not all that much.

What makes you believe that you will need a bypass loop?

Thanks,

Jim R.

That was in the manual. Glad I don't need one as it would make my plumbing unsightly.

Thanks for all the advice.

i,

I suspect that is for pools with very large single speed pumps, where the flow cannot be controlled.

I have not heard of anyone that has installed a bypass for the cell...

Thanks,

Jim R.

From the manual:

Loop Plumbing Diagram
The IntelliChlor® SCG is designed to operate with water flow rates from 25 +/- 5 gallons per minute (gpm) up to 105 gpm. Refer to the pipe manufacturer specifications for recommended maximum flow rate. For flow rates over 80 gpm you must use a bypass loop (as shown below) for best chlorine production. Installations with flow rates over 80 gpm include those that have in-floor cleaning systems or booster pumps. These systems MUST use a bypass loop with the IntelliChlor SCG with a flow control valve that assures that the flow through the IntelliChlor SCG is maintained within its designed operating water flow rates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.