Spa jet issue - 1 of 4 spa jets is drawing water in

viksis

Jul 12, 2012
I hope someone can help.
We have a built in gunite pool with attached spa. The spa jets are venturi system, no blower needed (spa is less than 10 ft from venturi air pipe).
1. One of the four spa jets is drawing water in.
2. When I turn on the spa, only water comes out, no air. The bad jet barely puts any water out.
3. When the pool pump goes off at the end of the day, the spa empties to just above the jets. This doesn't seem right. Is that related to the misbehaving fourth jet?

We put a leaf blower over the venturi air pipe and three of the four spa jets pushed water/air out as expected. The fourth was very weak on water and air. Once we stop the blower, after about 3 minutes, the air stopped coming through.

Please help - this has been going on for way too long.

Thanks in advance!!!

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

When my venturi jets are not working right I have found that an oring is either broke or not in place. Debris can also cause it. You should be able to remove the jet and check that out. Depending on the type you may need a tool to remove them.

I assume the spa is elevated above the pool surface. If so, you need a check valve on the return side. If you have one, you may need to take it apart and check it as it is either fouled by debris or needs rebuilt.

If you are interested in learning more about TFPC, I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

When my venturi jets are not working right I have found that an oring is either broke or not in place. Debris can also cause it. You should be able to remove the jet and check that out. Depending on the type you may need a tool to remove them.

I assume the spa is elevated above the pool surface. If so, you need a check valve on the return side. If you have one, you may need to take it apart and check it as it is either fouled by debris or needs rebuilt.

If you are interested in learning more about TFPC, I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

Thank you. We'll be pulling the offending jet today to check it out. So are you saying the check valve would be the cause of 1. the fourth jet drawing water in and/or 2. the spa emptying when the pump system is turned off?

Would the check valve be buried and can you suggest where it might be located in reference to the pool system? If we don't find it or have one, where's the best place to install it? Sorry for all the questions - I'm not an expert on pool mechanics. We attempted to have a pool professional fix it, but apparently, they're not an expert either.

Thanks, in advance!! (LOVE this forum but SO many posts to sift through!)

The check valve is in relation to the spa draining to the returns.

Is the spa water level elevated above the pool surface? When it drains, does the spa water level roughly equal the pool water level?

Would the check valve then be physically closer to the spa or the pool pump?

Yes, the spa water level is elevated above the pool. when the pool pump goes off, the water level of the spa drains to the level of the spa jets which are approximated 12 inches above the pool water level. Essentially, the spa empties about half. Please see photo with markups. On the far left, you can see the top of the venturi pipe (just below the lantern on the post). The venturi pipe then runs slightly underground through the flower bed and then under the deck to the spa. Would the check valve be located in this run of the pipe?spa.jpg

Thanks so much for your help. I've not seen anything per your image, attached to the spa return line above ground. Will have to do some investigating and research on this forum for proper placement if I can't find it.

I assume the spa did not always drain to the jets? If so, you have a check valve in the system. Just need to find it. There are many types. The picture I linked are to the best ones. But there are others.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK -- I cannot believe any pool builder would not install a check valve. Now, it could have been removed.

Does the spa have a makeup line to keep water going to it when not in full spa mode? Or do you divert a portion of your return through the spa jets?

Get some pictures of your equipment pad. Especially the return side of the plumbing.

- - - Updated - - -

In your picture, the check valve is immediately below the Never Lube (black) valve. Just after the white pvc valve. That is your spa make up line.

Yep!!! I was looking for something like your photo only to see on the internet there are a few different types and identified mine. We'll be taking that off today to inspect and replace as necessary. You are a POOL ANGEL!!!!! Thanks beyond thanks!!!
PS - In the past, I've always just paid to have someone 'just fix it, please!'. Now that I'm retired, my money tree has all but died and I need to be more of a DIY'r. You've saved me a pool full of $$$$$!!!! Santa will be very good to you this year.

Good to hear. It appears to be glued in but hopefully you find a way to get off. If you must replace it, use a Jandy style that can be repaired in place.

Take care

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.