Thinking about installing Gunite Pool

Sounds like you might be getting a quote from Anthony & Sylvan. The quote from the A&S salesman said no Saltwater due to issues in Arizona or someplace with cement. He said that he would put one in for me for $1600 but couldnt recommend it.

No I’m in Georgia not sure who that company is - here’s another question if I go salt I heard a zinc anode? Can help it from corroding the pool equipment is this true? How many salt cells are on a SWG? It’s $800 to go from a UV System to salt and trying to weigh pros and cons. Also what is the best SWG on the market?

Also my brother has a chlorinated pool not a SWG and he pays $50 a month approx in chemicals. What is the cost for SWGs monthly I get the initial price on salt water systems are around $1500 more but if chlorine chemicals are $50 a month that’s $600 per year just trying to do some math here. Is it just salt bags needed for SWG?

Also my brother has a chlorinated pool not a SWG and he pays $50 a month approx in chemicals. What is the cost for SWGs monthly I get the initial price on salt water systems are around $1500 more but if chlorine chemicals are $50 a month that’s $600 per year just trying to do some math here. Is it just salt bags needed for SWG?

You get the salt level up to the required range. I'm sitting at about 3500 ppm right now (about 1/10 of the oceans salinity). I added the salt last November and it was about 3700 ppm.

Salt doesn't evaporate or wear out but it may leave the pool in other ways, like backwashing(if your filter setup allows this), or on you when you get out of the water. The salt is what is converted to chlorine, then, it eventually becomes salt again and the process continues that way.

The only maintenance you should really need to do is periodic cleaning of the cell itself... My cell was just removed at the 8 month mark and there was really no build up though.

I don't know if I would want to deal with the jugs of chlorine on a daily basis... It's literally like being held hostage by your pool!

I haven't seen anyone on this forum that regrets going with SWG over liquid.

I pay nothing extra most months with my salt cell. For an entire year my pool costs (testing supplies, occasional extra liquid chlorine, etc) comes to $100-$150 a YEAR.

Remember- a SWG *is* a chlorine pool. You'd just be making your own chlorine from the salt in the water. Yet you won't be getting overburdened by the unwanted extra chemicals that come in chlorine pucks and powders that cause pool owners trouble down the road.

Maddie :flower:

Okay update and another question

going with a 16x32 gunite with SWG - which SWG should i go with?

Also, I’m adding a water feature waterfall that’s addinf 2k to my price however I’ve heard some people that have gunite wish they got a spill over type spa. So my question is what is the usual going rate for a spill over spa and is it worth it? If it’s say 5k would it serve the same waterfall purpose so I could eliminate the 2k water feature?

thanks

going with a 16x32 gunite with SWG - which SWG should i go with?

Need more information- gallon size for example. What shape is this pool and what are the depths? If you look at the PoolMath app at the top of the page ... go down to the bottom and look for "Calculating Pool Size". Try using that and letting us know how much you guess-timated it at. We'll offer better suggestions knowing this.

Adding a spillover spa to my build would have added @ $8k. They are nice but for the small(ish) pool you listed I would not do it.

Have you read Pool School yet? You keep asking/mentioning "chemicals" for non-saltwater pools. Pool School will answer your questions regarding this. But in a nutshell, the only chemicals you add on a regular basis to any pool is chlorine and muriatic acid. Chlorine if no swg daily, muriatic acid usually weekly. Bleach is usually in the form of regular old household bleach. If you go saltwater, the pool will make its own chlorine so you will have nothing to add outside of the initial balancing and acid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Using Pool Math I got 20,500 gallons for 6 foot deep

Need more information- gallon size for example. What shape is this pool and what are the depths? If you look at the PoolMath app at the top of the page ... go down to the bottom and look for "Calculating Pool Size". Try using that and letting us know how much you guess-timated it at. We'll offer better suggestions knowing this.

- - - Updated - - -

Just curious why does the size matter? How much are gunite pools on average going up a size from 16x32? Is next size 18x36?

Adding a spillover spa to my build would have added @ $8k. They are nice but for the small(ish) pool you listed I would not do it.

Have you read Pool School yet? You keep asking/mentioning "chemicals" for non-saltwater pools. Pool School will answer your questions regarding this. But in a nutshell, the only chemicals you add on a regular basis to any pool is chlorine and muriatic acid. Chlorine if no swg daily, muriatic acid usually weekly. Bleach is usually in the form of regular old household bleach. If you go saltwater, the pool will make its own chlorine so you will have nothing to add outside of the initial balancing and acid.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you do the spa? Any regrets

My 7 foot diameter attached spa and spillover into the pool added $8k to my contract price

Using Pool Math I got 20,500 gallons for 6 foot deep

- - - Updated - - -

Just curious why does the size matter? How much are gunite pools on average going up a size from 16x32? Is next size 18x36?

- - - Updated - - -

Did you do the spa? Any regrets

Gunite pools are any size you want. If they are add the spa in addition to what you have it doesn't matter too much but if you are losing pool space not so much. My pool is based roughly on a 44x22 footprint. I wouldn't go much larger than that but wouldn't want to lose any space to a spa either.

You asked "which SWG should you use?" to which I replied how big is your pool?

We recommend all SWGs be at least 2x the size of the pool. If your pool was ginormous we'd have to recommend a few particular brands that can handle those big ole pools. Some pools are deeper or more shallow than others yet the same foot print. It makes a diff.

That's all.... :)

Maddie,

Another question is a 1 HP pump effective enough to run 20,000 gallon pool? Two pool builders are trying to talk me into UV but the cost to go to SWG is only $800 more and that is what I'm locked into right now.....

Don't cheap out on equipment. Get a variable speed pump and a saltwater generator. "HP" of pump with a variable speed is less important. Get at least a 2 hp VSP though. Unless this is an indoor pool, the UV is totally useless.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.