How cold of water will you swim in?

Aug 7, 2018
Norfolk
My heater conked out a few days back, and probably won't fix it until next season. I'm wondering how much longer I can swim. Just finished 50 laps, air temperature is 67 degrees, and the water is 72. It wasn't bad..., but I sure hope it warms up over the next few days.

Oh, wait. What water temp will I push my friends into? Or get into myself?

I deplore all this end-of-swim-season talk! It feels like my summer is just getting started and I'm ready to start thinking about pool parties!! How is it over already!?

By the way, it is still summer, ya know!

:sunny:

normally 85 and above are all I'll go in, but on some occasions I will go into water that's in the lower 80's, when I was a young lad in NH I uses to go in water that was in the 60's no idea how I accomplished that feat... :splash:

I got in tonight with the g-girl. 79°. Not too bad, made it about 20 minutes. She wouldn't get in, then wouldn't get out when she finally did. Took her for a few dunks. Too bad it's almost over. Another few weeks and I could finish teaching her to swim, she's almost got it...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
About 78°. With a wetsuit I'll go as low as 72°.

Ha, technically the OP's question didn't specify swimming pool or what you might wear!! I've been in 28°F water, but had so much drysuit and underwear on that I could barely move! The hands were the first to go.

I will brave 78 degrees (regulation temp for olympic pools) but any less than that just isn't worth it.

I prefer 84-85 as the most comfortable.

Ditto. Though at 78 I greatly prefer a mid-80's sunny/humid day.

I’m now used to 88 degrees where I just walk right in without hesitating. I laughed at the grandkids when they complained about 85 degrees earlier in the year after the pool was finished. It was 85 degrees last week after all the rain and I found myself complaining. OMG, that didn’t take long!

This thread is great! I was just thinking about this yesterday, Monday. My wife and I went in the pool on Saturday afternoon, air temp 88 water temp 78. Initially, the water felt cold and it took my wife, it seemed like, forever to get in. She immediately said it was too cold and she was getting out. I just mentioned it wasn't too bad, as my teeth were chattering. No not really. It didn't take long to get used to it. The air temp helped tremendously.

Today, on the other hand, the air temp is only 80 and the water has dropped to 75 degrees. Not sure I'll be going in until at minimum it gets back up to, at least, 78.

You don’t wait... you just open your wallet :).

The two times I have been in the pool was about 83. It was nice, but I see 85 to 87 being a great number. I’ll see what October brings!

18x36 vinyl liner ,19k gallons, Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Aquarite 900 SWCG, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED, Dolphin M400 robot, TF-100/K-1766

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.