How cold of water will you swim in?

I grew up swimming in the ocean around Monterey Bay, Ventura Beach, and the water was pretty chilly 67 -70. I jumped into our pool this weekend, which was about 78 and that was chilly. I jumped in only because I was sweating and wanted to cool off from the yard work. It all depends on conditions, I like the water now 85+.

My pool is currently about 69 degrees. It was 83 or so last week just based on the sun. I’m gonna have to close sooner than I plan if this keeps up!

18x36 vinyl liner ,19k gallons, Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Aquarite 900 SWCG, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED, Dolphin M400 robot, TF-100/K-1766

My pool is currently about 69 degrees. It was 83 or so last week just based on the sun. I’m gonna have to close sooner than I plan if this keeps up!

The heat sure leaves quick eh?

Mine was also 83.
This month of september has been atypical. Usually it's summer until the last week of september.
This year the first week was the last.

I measured the water yesterday...58 degrees!

Yes , it exited with a quickness for sure. My kids still want one final pool bash. I’m dreading how much money it will be to go from 67 ish to 85 !

The worst part is they aren’t even finished building. There is no concrete decking yet! I couldn’t close if I wanted to [emoji4]

18x36 vinyl liner ,19k gallons, Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Aquarite 900 SWCG, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED, Dolphin M400 robot, TF-100/K-1766

Got in for about 20 minutes yesterday after work and water was 74 degrees and it was about 68 degrees air temp. Was used to the water temp in about 20 seconds. Prefer 80 plus will brave the cold temps at 70 or above. Really, anything at 70 or above is okay as long as it is hot outside. Anything below 70 makes my legs go numb. Though I will probaby jump in one last time before I close or if I lose a bet on a football game. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We just got solar (electric, not water) installed, so we'll see what our bills look like this winter. We like 85+ water. We are starting to just use the spa more, heating it to 90, rather than heat the whole pool, unless it's an "occasion."
I'm sure that we'll continue to jump in, even in the high 70's, to cool down after working in the yard, etc... It will be in the high 80's outside for quite a while down here.

75 in the spring has a refreshing bite to it. Hop out and the air warms me right up. 75 in the fall hurts. And hopping out into 60 degree air hurts more.

The mantra around here is 'summer aint over til we SAY its over!' My 16 year old has an after homecoming dance pool party tonight with about 14 kids. With the heater chugging away, the water temp at that time will be 85 ish. That approaches the low end of my comfort zone (low 80s), but the kids, of course, wont care what the temperature is.

Last edited:
Youngest visited us in December...pool was 50ish and I double dogged dared him to jump in. $20 bet later lad jumped in the deep end and, not living with us, didn't know how to get out. He was in for maybe 1.5 minutes. I laughed my arse off and gave the $20 gladly.

Wife and I have been in when it hit 68 after having a few bloody mary's (alcohol tends to make one feel invincible after all). It's not bad once you go numb but 78 is my breaking point generally. ;)

I just had an epiphany over the weekend... after all the $$$$ we spent to put in the pool, not paying a few bucks on electricity to heat it when we want to swim feels "penny-wise, pound-foolish." The pound-foolishness has already occurred, so we might as well be penny foolish as well, and enjoy the pool as long as it's warm enough outside.
:)

I just had an epiphany over the weekend... after all the $$$$ we spent to put in the pool, not paying a few bucks on electricity to heat it when we want to swim feels "penny-wise, pound-foolish." The pound-foolishness has already occurred, so we might as well be penny foolish as well, and enjoy the pool as long as it's warm enough outside.
:)
I’m totally with you and overspend on a few things for the pool which make my life easier and are a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of the pool. But my electric wasn’t just a few bucks. It was $400 a month with the solar cover and $600-$700 without it. Two months ealy and two months late added up to a lot more than it was worth for a few more swims. Some people use their pool like crazy with the heater. I’d reconsider if that was the case. Just wasn’t worth it for us.

We had to run the heat pump a lot since mid-August. The increase to the electric bill was not pleasant, but the fun with the grandchildren far outweighs the cost of keeping the pool warm enough for me to get in with them. I'm debating on whether I want to keep some level of heat in the water with expected high air temps in the 50s and lows around 40 for the next week or so. (Now I'm wishing I would've gotten a gas heater.)

We had to run the heat pump a lot since mid-August. The increase to the electric bill was not pleasant, but the fun with the grandchildren far outweighs the cost of keeping the pool warm enough for me to get in with them. I'm debating on whether I want to keep some level of heat in the water with expected high air temps in the 50s and lows around 40 for the next week or so. (Now I'm wishing I would've gotten a gas heater.)

For you it’s totally worth it then. Supposedly the gas heaters cost even more to run but at least you can turn them off for a week or two and just warm up the pool 10 hours before you want to swim. Once my water is below 72 my heat pump is useless.

Reactions: gonfishin
For you it’s totally worth it then. Supposedly the gas heaters cost even more to run but at least you can turn them off for a week or two and just warm up the pool 10 hours before you want to swim. Once my water is below 72 my heat pump is useless.

I've found when air temp is below 65-70, the heat pump struggles to maintain the temperature. I can forget about raising it by more than a degree over the course of 12 hours.

Because gramma likes 84-86 degree water, my pool snob grandchildren think 80 is too cold. What have I done?

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.