Pop ups not rising fully

Yes, I do have wall returns. 3 to be exact. That was my original thought however adjusting the valve didn't seem to divert any water to those wall returns. I must be doing something wrong. I'll have to keep trying.

When you say "floor" above, you mean the valve box which controls the heads, correct?

thanks again.

Looks like to me that in order to get the right valve to work you need to turn the left valve opposite of the position shown in the picture and then turn the right valve to either of the two ports. By turning the right valve so it completely closes one port at a time, you should be able to figure out what it controls.

Me thinks my filter pressure gauge is goofed as it reads 10 psi (I incorrectly noted 12 psi in an earlier post) at 2850 rpm. At 1500 rpm it also reads 10 psi. Same goes for 3450 rpm.
View attachment 86374View attachment 86375View attachment 86376

If this is true, your PSI gauge is definitely dead...as others have stated, the PSI changes significantly (4-5) while the cleaning system is running due to the fact that 2 zones are "somewhat" activated while your manifold valve is switching from one zone to the next. Changing the RPM should also definitely change its reading. The gauges are pretty cheap to replace, about $10 on amazon...maybe even Lowes if the one they carry fits your filter.

Your system is similar to mine and as the last couple posts have mentioned, that right valve probably controls the mix between your pool returns and your pool water feature (a waterfall?)...but only if the left valve is opened to provide a path for them.

One question, does your zone with 4 popups include popups in any smaller areas such as steps or seats...generally those areas have a smaller nozzle popup (which has lower GPM requirements) than the pool floor popups. If your "4 popup zone" includes those special areas, make sure that a smaller nozzle popup is in those locations if appropriate. I made this mistake many years ago.

Finally, you had 3 attachments in your above quoted post that are not viewable (at least by me), anything there you wanted people to see?

Update on things...

I gave my pressure gauge a tap and it seems to be working now. At 2950 rpm its about 17 psi.

Regarding your questions, yes. Two of the four heads are on steps. Interesting, the nozzle size is not smaller its the largest opening like those on the floor--builder mistake?

Lastly, I'm still struggling with the circuit of 4 heads with the same problem--not fully opening. When in increase by 100 rpm the circuit opens for the initial several rounds giving the impression the problem is solved. However, when I check on it early in the morning I'm back to square one.

I'm going to swap out the heads for new ones on that circuit. I'll ask them to provide two with smaller openings as appropriate for steps.

Keep you posted.

You may want to give A&A a call to see what they have listed for your pool on the original specs they did. Also mention your issue and see if they are willing to send someone out and/or work with you to resolve the issue.

It's possible that using 2 low flow heads on that zone will NOT provide adequate cleaning. With the style pop-ups you have, I see no reason why you would need to run at full speed to get the heads to extend fully.

My understanding of A&A heads is that none of the Venturi models have changeable nozzle sizes. See this video at around the 3 minute mark.

Identify your AA Pop Up Heads - YouTube

And the regular Gamma4 and earlier models have the nozzle sizes in the removable head, so you don't have to order different nozzles.

I'd lean toward this being an issue with the springs failing on some pop-ups in that zone. That could lead to behavior you are describing where the heads pop up fully for a few cycles and then start failing. New heads will fix that issue, even with no nozzle change.

I did my semi-annual head removal this weekend, and my heads are in good shape, but some did stick-though very little. A couple had small dirt or pebbles in the pop up and a couple had the plastic area on the bottom loose and thus affecting the balance with the spring. I snapped it back in there, but made me feel that maybe some epoxy was in order to keep the heads operating next year, we’ll have to see. It appears it’s 2 different molds of plastic type, so chlorine or other chems may be breaking them down and I’m hoping they remedied this in newer models, A little magic lube on the gaskets help them stay put.
I have all high flow heads, and I didn’t think to think that may be a culprit, but your valve setup is much more in-depth than mine.

I wish I woulda added a pressure gauge at the UFO valve (looks like it huh?) when I replaced the valve last winter. Big proponent of swapping in the glycerin filled gauges as the standard ones stick after a few months for me also.

A&A’s full catalog: http://www.aamfg.com/brochures/AAMFG.2016.pdf

To close the loop on this I took the 4 heads on that circuit to A&A. They replaced them with new ones. Have had the new ones in for four days now and seems to have cured the problem. Heads are fully extending out of the floor. Hopefully that continues, I'll re-post if otherwise.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions on addressing this!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.