New IG Build in Athens, GA

Hey

We are on the west side close to Bogart. Go Dawgs! Sorry about the mold.

Morning Crockett.
Your post caught my eye as I’m from Gainesville. [Go Dawgs!]

Live in NC now, but still have a condo rental property in G’ville. Neighbor’s water heater blew and flooded my unit. That was in late March. I just signed the contract for gutting the kitchen and some additional drywall replacement yesterday. SIX months later! (I had to contract for mold removal and floor replacement myself. From 600 miles away. Fun times!)

While the economy is obviously in a good spot right now, I wonder if North and NE GA area is doing especially well.

What area of Athens are you in?
Look forward to following along on your build!

Have a bit of a steps concern. I have them on the sketch as diagonal but read in another thread that I will lose seating options. My husband wants wedding cake, but I would like to stay with the geometric theme. What do you think about an "L" or rectangular on the same side as the deep end bench? Pardon my sketch. I still like it better than the one the builder did. Mine is more detailed.

Trouble Free Pool

Have a bit of a steps concern. I have them on the sketch as diagonal but read in another thread that I will lose seating options. My husband wants wedding cake, but I would like to stay with the geometric theme. What do you think about an "L" or rectangular on the same side as the deep end bench? Pardon my sketch. I still like it better than the one the builder did. Mine is more detailed.

Trouble Free Pool

How deep are your shallow and deep ends going to be? Any thoughts of a diving board or slide?

Thanks for looking over the sketch. I will do my best to explain. So the purple boxed areas are level with the pool deck. We are using White beach pebble surrounding poured pads on both sides of the path to the back porch. There is a lp fire pit represented on the left. The back porch will be about 18" higher so there are 2 steps down. Everything else you see is the same elevation as the pool. The yellow area the covered outdoor kitchen. The structure will be added after the pool is complete, not by PB. the orange is open sun deck.
The pool will be only 6 feet from the pool house. The covered area basically wraps around the shallow end. Hope all that makes sense. So happy for the interest.

You’ll have to excuse my crude drawings. Some thoughts I have:

First off, SUPER nice!
Love the size of the tanning ledge, especially.

I think I’d put entry steps on the other side of shallow end. Seems to be a bit more convenient from the house and frees up what could be a busy traffic area for the kitchen.
Whatever the case, since you want the more modern, but the hubs likes the rounded steps, maybe go in between and do a hexagon shape?

In the corner where you have the steps, put a “L” shaped bench (Good for conversations with those in the kitchen. Also, though not steps) still easy access for anyone in/out of the pool house.) Our sun room (house to back yard door) is even with our pool deck, as yours will be with your pool house. I always thought ours was close with about 30 feet. LOVE the 6’ you’ll have!

In the deep end, a bench that mirrors that in the shallow end. Good place for conversing with those on the sun deck and those in the fire pit area.

I’d also put a ladder in the deep end (opposite side as bench) for exit.

If children (your own or grands) are in the future, consider going just a bit deeper so if you want to later add a slide, you can. (Check code requirements.) Might also be a good selling point in the future for a family with kids. (Besides, who wouldn’t enjoy a good trip down a slide into the pool?)

One thing I see a lack of is any type of shade. Maybe that’s in the kitchen? But would it be comfortable for lounging?

If you’re able to do a fire pit that can duplicate as the base for a table, that may be a neat idea? When you have the concrete poured in this area, put in holes or leave a small (3”x3”) area at 4 corners so you can put up a gazebo (with mosquito screens!).

One thing I really wish we had was a narrow but deep enclosed spot to house pool floats and chemicals in the summer and our deck furniture (lounges, disassembled tables, umbrella and chairs) in the winter.

5FFAF29C-410D-4E74-8F13-B0B86C240F5B.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The pink with the arrow is a possible slide.

Love the slide idea! 1st grand baby is due in April so we have some time. I will check codes. I know the builder said depth change is fine and no extra cost.

The pavilion with the kitchen is fairly large at 18x22 and has a lounge area. But now that you mention it we are thinking we may extend it another few feet. this is a full sun all day area of the yard.

Love the fire pit doubling as a table. Yes. It is perfect for that. Great idea!

I like the matching "L" for benches. Still want to leave as much open swimming lanes for laps.

Storage is a big deal too. A must. The pool house a large storage area opposite the bathroom. About 4 x 10. If that is not enough there is an attic.

I wonder what dictates how deep you can go with a pool? Water table?

If there’s no charge, go ahead and check the depth needed for a diving board while you’re at it! Nothing says you HAVE to put it in, but having the option later might be nice. Our son was 3 when we bought our house w/ pool. Had no idea then he would want to be on a swim team. He also did dive team for a while (until the knowledge of mortality kicked in).

Still, the board has provided a lot of fun for us and friends. Sure, there’s a liability risk with a slide and a board, but really, you already have a pool in your back yard! Check with your insurance to see if there would be a rate difference with added depth and the “toys.” Other things to consider would be if your pump will handle addl water (appears it will), the expense of additional water and a bit more in chemicals. In my book, I think it’s worth it.

One other thing to consider doing - next season we will be getting a “platform” to put in the shallow end to make it more shallow for our dog. (It’s ok. You can laugh.) this is normally used for families with children who aren’t yet great swimmers. It’s a temporary thing, but if you’re just starting to acquire grandchildren, might be nice to have holes built in so it’s easier to use and remove over the years.

Shade in the kitchen will be great. Wonder if you can have a curtain rod installed on each side and make mosquito net panels (connect via a zipper or Velcro) to enclose it when wanted. (Would be nice when cooking, or when lounging.)

Not crazy about the hexagon steps?
Would moving the steps to the other side be a bad thing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One more thought - is there any room to get a few more feet of length?
You mentioned doing laps. 25 meters is 82,x feet. In our pool (20x40) two round trips from deep to shallow and back to deep is just shy of 25 meters. If we had anything shorter, I think we might get dizzy from all the turning around!

Now when I say laps, not those professional kind your thinking. Just swimming back and forth, lol. Love the platform idea. Never heard or that.
Im a bit of a nervous nelly, not keen on diving board. Also have teen daughter (our youngest) worried enough about friends and rambunctiousness as it is.
Slide may be ok. I just don't want a dramatic slope. Like how the math works out on 4 to 7'. Pretty sure slide is ok. Builder will be here Wednesday for site work. I want to discuss steps and depth then.
Love that you are doing that for the pup. We have two. My gsd will love the pool. Not so sure about the chihuahua.

Here is the before. One last meeting with PB on Wednesday and then the digging starts. This pic was taken from the back porch of the house. The bobbed pear trees and one other two the left not pictured will be removed. Hard to see the stakes in the yard.
View attachment 87611

Here is the before. One last meeting with PB on Wednesday and then the digging starts. This pic was taken from the back porch of the house. The bobbed pear trees and one other two the left not pictured will be removed. Hard to see the stakes in the yard.
View attachment 87611

I love trees. Would be hard pressed to buy a new build house due to no mature landscaping. But let me say, having three trees in our yard (one 200 yo magnolia and two mature dogwoods - only one dogwood in our backyard with the pool) was a great decision someone made years ago. We rarely have a bunch of leaves in our pool.
So don’t think twice about losing some of the other trees, if it’s an option.

TODAY IS THE DAY!

We had a tentative start day and we have told PB from start we are flexible. We both work from home. They had a rough dig Tuesday on another job and hit a giant rock. Since I have been reading all these stories i can understand how that can come up and slow progress. He has stayed in contact and shared updates. Looks like tomorrow or Monday for us. I honestly don't mind enjoying a "mud free" yard for another day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.