Discolored Fiberglass pool

tttony

May 28, 2018
Seven Hills
Amazing post....it reads almost verbatim to my own history with our Leisure Pools Pool.

The only twist I have is that my pool uses NO chlorine. It is the CLFree system that uses a titanium catalyst for oxidizing and sacrificial copper plates to maintain a higher (.3-.5 ppm) copper level for sanitizing. Having an unknown cause of staining, coupled with a FG pool and a non-standard system makes it just about impossible to get help.

You have me completely rethinking what is going on with my pool since I have always been pretty vigilant about my water chemistry. If I use as melamine sponge and scrub my tail off, the color is there. I just want to know how to keep it that way before I make that investment in time and effort. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Re: Fiberglass Discoloration (Faded & Chalky) - My Story

Amazing post....it reads almost verbatim to my own history with our Leisure Pools Pool.

The only twist I have is that my pool uses NO chlorine. It is the CLFree system that uses a titanium catalyst for oxidizing and sacrificial copper plates to maintain a higher (.3-.5 ppm) copper level for sanitizing. Having an unknown cause of staining, coupled with a FG pool and a non-standard system makes it just about impossible to get help.

You have me completely rethinking what is going on with my pool since I have always been pretty vigilant about my water chemistry. If I use as melamine sponge and scrub my tail off, the color is there. I just want to know how to keep it that way before I make that investment in time and effort. Thanks for taking the time to share.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I think just about all of us here at TFP knows the cause of your staining ... it is all the metal you are adding to your water. Which also happens to be giving you a false sense of security since all the metals do is prevent algae, they will not adequate kill pathogens in your water to prevent disease transmittal.

Claiming you are vigilant about water chemistry and then at the same time not using an adequate (approved) sanitizer seems like a bit of an oxymoron.

Claiming you are vigilant about water chemistry and then at the same time not using an adequate (approved) sanitizer seems like a bit of an oxymoron.

I'm not sure how to take that...you welcome me and basically blast my setup all in one breath...and speaking on behalf of the entire community no less. As a moderator, that's....surprising to say the least.

I've never had an issue with sanitation in my pool. And I never had issues with staining until recently. I thought I might find some help here.

I'm sorry to have bothered you with such a clearly ignorant comment....maybe I don't belong here.

This is a chlorine based pool forum, tttony. We do tend to be biased to chlorine as it is the safest way to care for your pool as it protects you from disease and avoids the staining issues copper and metals can cause.

If you alone, or a small family are swimming and no others, I would imagine your disease transmission risks are no worse than living in close quarters with those same people. But add others in to the mix and you risk a lot more.

Aside from our bias, can you show us a picture of this staining?? Try putting some crushed Vitamin C tablets in a sock and press it on to a stain and after a couple of minutes tell us if this changes the stain? If it does, it tells us the stains are metals.

Conversely if you take a chlorine puck (you can buy them individually) and hold it against the stain and see how that may change it? If it does that's an organic stain.

Maddie :flower:

I'm not sure how to take that...you welcome me and basically blast my setup all in one breath...and speaking on behalf of the entire community no less. As a moderator, that's....surprising to say the least.

I've never had an issue with sanitation in my pool. And I never had issues with staining until recently. I thought I might find some help here.

I'm sorry to have bothered you with such a clearly ignorant comment....maybe I don't belong here.

You are absolutely right to call me out. My post was much too direct for a new member and far from the friendly interaction that TFP strives to be. Must have caught me at a bad time :hammer:

Maddie has provided some good information on how to start to proceed to get your pool back into shape.

Hopefully we will be able to help you better understand your pool's chemistry as we want to ensure you have a safe and enjoyable pool.

:cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.