Fire pits- How much do you really use it? Worth it?

Jul 17, 2018
Little Rock, AR
So, how do you guys like your fire pits? I am in the early stages of designing my pool and backyard (in my head and paper). I love the idea of a fire pit, but honestly, wondering how much would we really use it. I think I would rather increase pool size and have money go towards the pool pavilion. And I would love to build a platform for a pizza oven.

I think I have already nixed having a spa, so this would be another cool item removed from the dream plan.

I have a portable propane fire pit (table). It was much cheaper and I’m really glad I didn’t build one in. I have moved it several times to rearrange seating in the pool area. Built in features are nice, but in the future you may wish you had a bit more flexibility. Be very sure you will use it and that you aren’t giving up valuable space,

I kept my pool area simple with a lot of deck space for flexibility. I just had gas, electric, and water supplies placed in an area for a future barbecue pergola. Now, 14 years later it has all just kind of evolved. Seating areas can be altered to suit what ever activities we plan. I’m glad I didn’t use up all my deck space with built in features.

I bought a portable metal one and a rick of wood thinking we would use it all the time... We have used it 2 times in 3 years LOL :)

Our friends used it more in a long weekend for their son's birthday than we have......

I have a portable fire pit and use it once in a while (max 4 x per year). Built in looks great but we just don't use it enough to justify the expense. If I may add, as someone who worked in a pizza parlor & LOVES pizza, making pizzas gets old quickly. A lot of mess and clean up and work for the person making it. I'd try using a pizza stone in the oven first to see if it's something you really want to spend money on (I know they're not cheap). I don't know that you can use that type of oven for anything else. Good luck!

I tried to keep everything portable. I have a barbecue that’s connected to NG, and an electric smoker, but I have NG and power and water outlets in a couple corners of the yard. I have a sink/bar refer unit but that’s also portable. My fire pit is propane and is a large coffee table type unit. Over the years I have been pleased that I had the flexibility to change my layout at will.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. A portable option that can be bought in the future may be the way to go

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I know. I have worked in kitchens and a pizzeria. We will have been cooking on an uuni Pro for about a year before we decide if we're going to upgrade or not.

Our fire pit is away from the pool and it’s a great way for me to take a mental vacation. I love fires. Preferably camping but in the backyard is fine too. It gets substantial use but I also knew it would.

d7b1f11821cbb22e631fa84665a8ece0.jpg

We have a portable fire pit and used it many years ago a couple of time now it just sits on the side of the house rusting away. We prefer to have more free deck space. Hope this helps:cheers:

It all depends on many things, do you want wood fire or just propane fire table.
I am personally wood fire guy so I had a regular firepit and chiminea. You get more smoke with firepit since all edges are open but it is also more entertaining.

I like chiminea better since it has a chimney to direct the smoke up - not towards you. Also it is a great cooking base if you like to cook on fire.
Chiminea - The Home Depot
They are not that expensive to try. We got ours from HD, and I think it was 80 bucks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi. How is the heat from the chiminea compared to the round fire pit? Does it still radiate out the same or does it push most of the heat up the chimmmey? Thanks!
It all depends on many things, do you want wood fire or just propane fire table.
I am personally wood fire guy so I had a regular firepit and chiminea. You get more smoke with firepit since all edges are open but it is also more entertaining.

I like chiminea better since it has a chimney to direct the smoke up - not towards you. Also it is a great cooking base if you like to cook on fire.
Chiminea - The Home Depot
They are not that expensive to try. We got ours from HD, and I think it was 80 bucks.

- - - Updated - - -

I love mine ...
878fa8f744727128702916d335971d6a.jpg

That’s really really nice. Where did you get it?

I built one and I only use it maybe 1 time a year. The "thought" of it was nice, but for me, the reality didn't match up to my imagination.

First, Im just too lazy to keep putting firewood on it and putting firewood on it depletes my stash of firewood for the fireplace inside the house.

Next, I'm too lazy to make sure the fire is put out when Im done with it,

and Next, if its cold enough to build a fire outside, then IMO its too cold to be outside to begin with! LOL. YMMV.

I think you already answered your own question tho by having reservations in the first place.

Reactions: Gladius Nova
I think the first thing to consider is space, do you have the available space you're willing to permanently sacrifice for a built in fire pit?

Our yard has the space for it and the cost was minimal (relatively speaking) to build it at the time of pool construction, about a $5,000 add on.

We get some use from it as we've used it maybe 6 times now if we are out in the hot tub or we have a backyard get-together but, in my mind I imagined being out there daily I think. We ran a natural gas line underground so starting it up takes 2 seconds and I know if it were wood burning, we'd use it even less due to the work involved.

I'd personally do it the same way if I had to do it over as it adds seating to the yard and is pleasant to look at.
IMG_20180120_213745686.jpg

We had one before we ripped our yards to shreds and we knew we needed that feature. Our sons love the area and it's a great way to make use of our yard in the cool/cold new england weather long after our pool will be closed.

We splurged on the rebuild:

1zQnFyE.jpg

We've used it 4-5 times since it was completed 2 weeks ago?

Reactions: jookie
Hi. How is the heat from the chiminea compared to the round fire pit? Does it still radiate out the same or does it push most of the heat up the chimmmey? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -
That’s really really nice. Where did you get it?

I think radiant heat is lower when compared to round pits. But most of the time its me an my wife so we sit in front of the opening and its good for us. If you are closer on the back parts you don't get fire&smoke but you do get heat. You can pretty much sit right next to it and be fine, though ours is clay so I am not sure how metal ones behave.

While they suggest not building fires that are big and coming out of chimney, you can remove the chimney part and have like a fire bowl there, which can be a party pleaser.

Once we get down to some chilly weathers I will upload some pictures / videos.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.