How does the SWG work? and more questions

Aug 14, 2018
Roseville
I bought the house in October of 2017 and the previous owner said that the pool was originally a salt water pool but had switched over to Chlorine, and it is still currently Chlorine.

I see that there is a old Jandy Aqua Pure 1400 on the pump system that I am sure is probably outdated or no longer functioning. However, it looks like the water has to pass through it on its way back to the pool.

1. If the pool is a chlorine pool does the SWG still work, would it still do anything?
2. If it is outdated/broken/ and water is still passing through it on its way back into the pool is that good/bad/does not matter?

Any other information that you can provide about the SWG would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

A chlorine pool is a saltwater pool and a saltwater pool is a chlorine pool. All pools have salt in them.

The SWCG uses the salt in the water to create chlorine. As that chlorine is expended, it returns to salt.

Have you tried to turn on the SWCG? What is the salinity of your water? Do you want to return to using a SWCG? The unit you have can be troubleshot with help from members of the forum. You may need a new cell, or a whole new system, or nothing.

The fact the water is flowing through the cell is of no consequence.

Hello,

I found out that I had to remove a panel from my fuse box to see the SWG info. I can see that it is a Jandy Aqua Pure 1400 and it is throwing a service error 170. I called my home warranty people to come out and take a look at it because I think I need this thing to work really bad. I have been having a hard time keeping the chlorine level up in my pool, so if this was repaired or replace I think that would help.

I think that I am going to switch to liquid chlorine either 10% or 12.5% as compaired to the 3' pucks in the float and the Dichlor grainular that the pool store told me to use as shock weekly... those jerks did not tell me that this would raise my CYA, and that is probably why I just had to drain my pool cause my CYA was over 100.

How much Cholrine does the SWG actually produce? I also hear that these only work when it is warm outside, so does that mean that it stops working in the winter time?

Thanks for all of the input.

An Aquapure 1400 can create about 8 ppm FC per day (if run 24 hours per day at 100% setting) if your total pool/spa volume is 19000 gallons. I doubt your Spa is that large. So you do need a better volume number for your pool/spa.

Typically SWCG do not produce chlorine when the pool water temperature drops to at or below ~60F. So you might have to add some liquid chlorine each week during the winter. But it will be minimal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.