Is there no tech support?

OK, for my dime, here are some features that I don't think add value -
- Super-Chlorinate, Shock, what-ever, just pissin' in the wind.
- Salt Read-out, if you take away all of the questions about "Low/High Salt, doesn't match test" then there wouldn't be many left, and tooo many people just start adding more salt with out ever having it checked, FIRST. They should just say "CHECK SALT LEVEL" and leave it at that.

I am just starting my reseach on a SWCG and want to know why "Super-Chlorinte" is not necessary? With a SWCG is shocking the pool still required and if so when/how often?

A SWG is designed to add chlorine slowly and uniformly. When shocking you need to bring the FC level up as quickly as possible, not something a SWG is at all good at. A SWG can be used to supplement chlorine added manually during shocking, but it can't be used for the initial rapid rise to shock level. Too many people think they can shock just using the super-chlorinate setting and end up either failing to shock the pool or using up far more of the SWG cell life than is justified.

For the OP...

A poster on one of these forums once said something to the effect of: What we see here (on the forum) is the small percentage of people that are having problems with these units. Normally, we won't get what would be the majority of owners post to say: "This unit is working fine! Everything OK, just wanted you all to know that". So don't get discouraged about the amount of problems seen here. Don't forget, these are problems with units world wide.

Strannik said:
i wouldn't say it's worldwide, most owners just go straight to manufacturer and get their problems solved there :-D
Well how far do you think the web goes? I've helped people in: Australia, England, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Canada, Bahamas, Philippines, New Zealand, and probably more if i sat down and thought about it. If you're out of the U.S., It's not as easy to get tech support (I've been told) as it is to pop into a forum and get an answer. Even in the states i hear it's frustrating to work with tech support(s). So while customers probably start with tech support, they usually wind up on a forum to get resolution to their problems.

well you obviously don't see any Autochlor owners here, but that doesn't mean they don't have issues with their units (as much as i would love to claim that :mrgreen: ). so they do get their support from somewhere else.

This forum has what, ~11500 members now? Out of which maybe 20% are here because of SWG issues, probably even less? Out of which, a lot of questions relate to pool chemistry and should've been answered by a local pool shop. Compare that to the number of people owning an SWG and it will be like a drop in the ocean. Admittedly, you do get drops from various different parts of the ocean on here.

As much as people bag tech support, it does help majority of clients, otherwise people wouldn't be buying the product.

Strannik said:
well you obviously don't see any Autochlor owners here, but that doesn't mean they don't have issues with their units (as much as i would love to claim that :mrgreen: ). so they do get their support from somewhere else.

Don't forget that this forum is not the only one in existence...

This forum has what, ~11500 members now? Out of which maybe 20% are here because of SWG issues, probably even less? Out of which, a lot of questions relate to pool chemistry and should've been answered by a local pool shop. Compare that to the number of people owning an SWG and it will be like a drop in the ocean. Admittedly, you do get drops from various different parts of the ocean on here.

...and it is not the largest forum either.

As much as people bag tech support, it does help majority of clients, otherwise people wouldn't be buying the product.
Many people buy products not knowing if the tech support is any good or not.
I see NO AutoChlor's in my area, and i don't make the assumption that they have no part of the market. So i really can't comment on how many of those (units) are out there, or if their tech support is any good either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Forum envy has raised its ugly head! Geesh. If someone starts talking about the the color palette or number of smilies I'm going to have to take a walk just to work off the emotions. That's right! --- I'll be on strike, should anyone ask. See you...

tomorrow. :oops:

Pool Clown said:
I see NO AutoChlor's in my area, and i don't make the assumption that they have no part of the market. So i really can't comment on how many of those (units) are out there, or if their tech support is any good either.

i'm not talking about autochlor specifically, any tech support.
the number of owners on this (and other) forums is still a small drop in the ocean compared to the number of SWG owners

Strannik said:
Well, isn't that kinda what i was saying in the first of my posts? That there are a lot of units out there, and a small percentage are having problems? And the majority of owners are silent because they have not a reason to post, So all anyone coming to the forum is going to see are the problem units. And while that appears to be a large amount of failures (to see on a forum) the reality is that it is but a "drop" in the bucket of total units in service.

Strannik said:
Pool Clown said:

i'm not talking about autochlor specifically, any tech support.
the number of owners on this (and other) forums is still a small drop in the ocean compared to the number of SWG owners

My first post must have been murkier than i thought.

You're preaching to the choir...

Lets go at this from another direction, What did you think i was trying to say?

yeah, this is only a very small subset of problems, which mainly consists of USA pool owners
Agreed.

Maybe because there are more units sold in the US? And most everyone in the states has access to a internet connection to complain with?

I was just trying to point out that the US isn't the only country that a manufacturer may sell to. Those units could be sold most anywhere "globally". And if someone saw say 10 or so negative posts on one site, that shouldn't be the sole reason for not considering the product.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.