Pump makes buzzing sound and shuts off

azzig

Aug 16, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
Hi there, I have a spa and my main pump was not working on low speed, only high speed. It had some rust on it and is 7 years old, so I just decided to replace it. I got a new 2 speed motor and matched the specs of the old one. It ran fine for about 2 weeks and then all of a sudden made a loud buzzing sound and wouldn't work anymore. I shut off the breaker, and waited a while, turned it back on and it work again for a bit, then did the same thing.

I started troubleshooting the wiring, and one thing I tried that is interesting is that if I just hook up either the low speed wire, or high speed wire, the pump will work fine on that speed. Obviously when the pump goes into the speed that is not wired it doesn't go on. So, right now I have just the low speed wire connected and the high speed disconnected so that it circulates and stays clean.

I think the motor is fine since I can run it on either speed. Any suggestions on what else it could be?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.