Algae take over

Marci M

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 23, 2015
Kapolei, Hawaii
Aloha!

We have been experiencing a big algae problem for several weeks. I have my FC at shock level but it’s still green.

FC: 20
CC: 1
TC: 21
TA: 70
CYA: 50

How can the pool still be green when FC is so high.
I’m also backwashing and rinsing a LOT, but water from returns are green too. My pool has been at shock level consistently for the past four days.
It seems like my pump is working fine but I’m second guessing that.

Our sand was replaced three years ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo,

Marci

You're only using liquid chlorine or bleach, right???

How are you testing?

How long did it take the pool to go green?- turning back clear may take a few days too. Four days is not an unusual long SLAM Process .

Are you brushing daily? Check behind any light or under ladder steps and the like for hidden pockets of algae.

Don't worry about the sand. When the chlorine hits the water in the pool, it also treats the sand in the filter. Sand does not need to be replaced almost *ever*. Only backwash when the pressure rises 20-25% over clean pressure. A slightly dirty filter actually cleans better.

You left pH off...know it?

Maddie :flower:

Hi Maddie,

Don't know how I left out pH. Its 7.5.
I have been using only chlorine bleach for almost two years. (BBB method)
The test kit I have is TF-100
It took about a week for the pool to turn completely green. I noticed that it was cloudy and starting to have larger amounts of dead algae on the bottom of the pool every morning. I vacuumed in the morning but by the afternoon it was turning green again. This was occurring white the FC was withing recommended levels. (And still with it being at shock levels)
Have tried to brush daily, but its impossible to see where I'm brushing because of the algae. :(
We had removed all ladders at the start of the SLAM. We also took the light out for a few days but put it back because I needed a light to vacuum the pool. (it makes it a little easier to see the bottom of the pool through the algae.)

It just doesn't make sense to me how my test readings are pretty normal but the pool is a swamp. It's extremely frustrating.
When I started noticing the green water coming out of the returns I backwashed/rinsed. Was I not supposed to do that?

So, you don't think its a problem with the pump?

if your pool pump is pushing water around, its working. It doesn't really have much else to do in relation to algae.

Check your bleach bottles for their date codes. Are we sure they're fresh (not sure, are they shipped over from the mainland?) Could they be old which makes the bleach weaker? The only way to know is to test the FC about a 30 minutes later to see if you reached your goal, and to check your date codes on the jugs.

Do you feel able to open up your sand filter and check it out? A good deep cleaning can do wonders sometimes. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Otherwise I'd say keep up the SLAM. Tedious I know, but not a lot of other options, y'know?

I will do a deep clean of the sand this weekend. I'll also be able to stay on top of my SLAM during the weekend.

We just bought liquid shock (10% sodium hypochlorite, i believe)

Thank you for your help. I'll keep you posted. Aloha!

Definitely frustrating. In addition to the deep clean on the sand filter, you might consider vacuuming to waste, rather than filter.

If it's so green you can't see the bottom, and you observe that your jetting in green water, getting some of that growth out of the pool entirely can't be bad. Of course, you'll have to refill what you drain, but that's not a bad idea, given your CYA level.

JPS

Definitely frustrating. In addition to the deep clean on the sand filter, you might consider vacuuming to waste, rather than filter.

If it's so green you can't see the bottom, and you observe that your jetting in green water, getting some of that growth out of the pool entirely can't be bad. Of course, you'll have to refill what you drain, but that's not a bad idea, given your CYA level.

JPS

Good points, JPS. Thanks for chiming in :)

JPS
Out of curiosity, what is wrong with a CYA level of 50?

Out of curiosity, what is wrong with a CYA level of 50?

If one is not using a SWG (which calls for higher CYA) and they're not in high, hot climates, or in the sun more than not the higher your CYA is the more chlorine you need to maintain the pool.

If the pool owner is using pucks, its always nice to exchange some water when you can just to get rid of some of the CYA that the pucks contain otherwise it just builds up and up ....

If one gets algae, the lower your CYA is the easier it is to treat.

That said, I'm not sure if Hawaii is so hot as to benefit from higher CYA? I dunno?

If one is not using a SWG (which calls for higher CYA) and they're not in high, hot climates, or in the sun more than not the higher your CYA is the more chlorine you need to maintain the pool.

If the pool owner is using pucks, its always nice to exchange some water when you can just to get rid of some of the CYA that the pucks contain otherwise it just builds up and up ....

If one gets algae, the lower your CYA is the easier it is to treat.

That said, I'm not sure if Hawaii is so hot as to benefit from higher CYA? I dunno?

Thanks! I was under the impression that 50 was still in the acceptable range for non-SWG pools, so I just wondered if I was mistaken. Heck, I'm thrilled that mine is down to 50! lol :kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry...just checking. The pool was running fine, clear and good levels. Then on day x it suddenly had a complete algae bloom have I understood correctly?

There were no noticeable events prior to the algal bloom? It didn't rain for the first time in 4 months? There isn't a tree overhanging the pool that decided to send our seeds, drop leaves etc? Just wondering why the pool changed.

After a weekend of SLAMMING my pool it’s still green.��
We did deep clean the sand in the filter and have been able to keep my FC at shock level (20).

Hawaii is very hot and sunny so my next plan is to vacuum to waste. Hopefully it’ll bring my CYA down.

I noticed that that my pH is now above 8.2. Should I just ignore that and balance it out after my SLAM.

THANK YOU

There were hints of algae starting a few weeks ago. I was on top of it but had to go on a business trip for eight days. I left my teens �� in charge of the pool. They claim to have checked the FC on a regular basis, but I don’t believe them. By the time I returned my pool was jade green. ��

No trees over the pool.

i appreciate any and all suggestions.

There were hints of algae starting a few weeks ago. I was on top of it but had to go on a business trip for eight days. I left my teens �� in charge of the pool. They claim to have checked the FC on a regular basis, but I don’t believe them. By the time I returned my pool was jade green. ��

No trees over the pool.

i appreciate any and all suggestions.

Hello! I think when you are SLAMing and the FC levels are very high, pH is also high and the test not accurate. However I have read that the pH should be brought down to 7.2 before starting the SLAM. Also the SLAM can last many days and you must continue to keep at it, adding chlorine, brushing, keeping the pump going until you can pass the OCLT— I am not on a computer so I can’t link to the description but Chlorine levels must stay the same between the evening and the next morning—-water must be crystal clear and no algae seen growing anywhere. Sometimes it seems that everything gets worse before getting better— but don’t give up! Good luck!

Thanks for your reply :)

I am nowhere near passing the OCLT. I’m still losing about 3-4 ppm of chlorine each night.

The last few times I’ve SLAMMED my pool I was done in 4 days. I’m still looking at a VERY green pool. I have not had the time to vacuum to waste yet, but hopefully I’ll get to do it tomorrow. I really think I need to bring down my CYA to make this Slam a little more manageable.

I’m hanging in there. I keep my FC at shock level and brush as well I can (too green to see how well). I’ll know I’m getting close when I can see my bottom drain.

Aloha

UPDATE

I figured out the hard way to never use old test solution. I used up the last of my old CYA REGENT and did another test using new regent. My actual CYA was at 60! No wonder my SLAM wasn’t working. I was never at the proper shock level.

I drained my pool over halfway and refilled it. CYA is at 40 and I am continuing my slam. I’m already seeing it start to clear up.

i will keep you posted.
Mahalo for the help!

Oh I am so sorry to hear this! You must be spittin' bullets finding out you've not had the correct CYA :(

Hang in there, Marci. Your experience is helpful to others as a reminder to check their reagents!

I'm looking forward to seeing your pool once its back to sparkling :) Can you post a pic for us then, please?

Latest update:

MY POOL IS AWESOME AGAIN!!
Once I figured out that my CYA reading was wrong the SLAM was a breeze. After draining and refilling the pool managing the FC was much easier.

This is my third successful SLAM This stuff really works and the people in this forum are wonderful!!9C412691-6AC6-4A77-8063-5C411B11C6F5.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.