Hello! New resident of Texas and new pool owner

Aug 15, 2018
DFW, TX
Hello everyone!

We recently moved to the Dallas area and bought a house with an existing in-ground pool with a DE filter. I've never owned or maintained a pool before, so being the self sufficient person that I am, I have committed to learn everything I can about keeping our pool in top shape.

The previous owners did not take very good care of the pool (or the house, really), and a pool inspection report recommends resurfacing soon. It is a gunite surface. This is something we will explore and have done this fall along with repairing some coping, tiles, a dead booster pump, and maybe even converting to salt.

Which brings me here... I hope to get some good info in the next several weeks and get a good plan together to bring our pool back to it's original condition.

The water in the pool was not greatly out of balance when we took possession. I had to learn a lot, quickly, about what to test for and how to treat. The previous owners used trichlor pucks in a floater (the puck feeder is sealed shut with some sort of glue on the cap). They left behind some HTH super shock packs, trichlor pucks, and a big bag of DE. We did have a black algae bloom a couple weeks ago, but have knocked it down with brushing, shock, and some algaecide. Not ideal, but with our upcoming major repairs out of the way and a fresh refill, we can start anew and keep the pool clean.

There are two things I have to deal with besides the physical repairs, high CYA and high water hardness. And, to a degree, high TA. For now the water is fine for swimming with keeping the pH and chlorine at ideal levels, especially considering the major work we will likely have done this fall.

Mike

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Please add a signature. Read Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

When you get ready to refurbish the pool, start a thread in the Under Construction section. Lots of members will provide their guidance.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

Hi Mike and welcome! :wave: Congrats on the new oasis. When you get a chance, post a full set of water test results from your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit and we'd be glad to check them for you. If you don't have either of those kits, you should make it a priority. If you do have one, make sure to add that to your sig as well. :wink:

Thank you Marty and the rest! Signature is done and I have some fresh test results from today's test. I'll place them here, but I understand this is not the correct sub-forum.

My numbers look better today than the last test (CYA, TA, CH), so I'm going in the right direction. FC and CC were really low today... going to fix that this evening with Sodium hypochlorite.

I did add 50 ounces of HCl to bring the pH down to a target of 7.0 (and TA), and I have two returns pointed up to help aerate. Glad to see CYA coming down (drained 2 inches, refilled. Got 3 inches of rain in the pool, drained 2.5 inches), and TA and CH came down, too.

Aug 2nd:
FC - 1.6 ppm
CC - .3 ppm
pH - 7.5
TA - 175 ppm
CH - 500 ppm
CYA - 70 ppm

Today:
FC - .5 ppm
CC - .5 ppm
pH - 7.8
TA - 140 ppm