New type winter cover, but on Long Island, NY

pequa1

Apr 1, 2014
Long Island, NY
one popular store in my area is selling "floating"winter covers that advertise no need for air pillows as they have closed cell foam in between the layers of the cover. However we typically get at least a couple inches of ice (and probably more) under the pool cover every winter.
I know these air pillows are actually ice compensators. Has anyone used these floating covers that allegedly negate the need for the blow up ice compensators and not damaged their pool ?
Auto-Float Carbon Black 3 in 1 Above Ground Winter Pool Cover. 20 Year Warranty, Starting at $69*

We've had our pool 12 winters and only a couple of times used air pillows for the winter. I'm pretty sure we get solid ice under our cover but have never had a problem not using the pillows. We use a standard solid winter cover, cover in late Oct/early Nov and uncover in May. The biggest problem has been all the water on top of the cover freezing and then we have to drain it in the spring when it thaws.

Thanks Mariane,\
I think I would be able to use that auto float cover based on your experience. I have been using regular winter covers as well, and lately some Home Depot ones that sell for like $40. and last at most two years.
I cover the opening to the skimmer with an Aquadoor and don't drain any water at all when closing. I think I have been closing our pool too early and opening it up too late, thinking that I want to be able to swim laps beginning about two days after opening and right up until a day or two before closing. I think this has left the pool water too warm under the cover and hastens the buildup of algae and additional debris. All in the hope of saving a buck or two on electricity and chlorine, lol. Thanks again.
art

I just want to say last year we left our solar cover on under our winter cover. We did use a pillow as well because I was nervous just using the solar cover to keep everything up. We are in Northern NJ. The solar cover seemed to really help keep everything in place and we did not need to store it over the winter. Not sure if that may be an option for you under this new cover. I did like having the pillow to keep all the water near the edges which made it easier to clear the water off the top of the cover in the spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.