Water hardness increase products

joe603

May 21, 2018
Fayetteville/GA
Hey guys, so my hardness is 170 and I think its time to raise it to 230. My question is what do you guys use? I see that Calcium Chloride is the active chemical in most hardness UP products; snow ice melt bags have the same chemical (and much cheaper). What is the general consensus to using the cheaper melt product in a pool? Will the pellets not dissolve as quickly and gather on the pool floor? What about the amount to raise it by 60...is it the same between the two products?

If you find 100% calcium chloride in snow melt, that is what many members use.

You do not have a fiberglass or vinyl pool do you? Fill in your signature ;)

Use PoolMath to calculate how much you need to add to raise to your desired target (we have no idea how big your pool is ... blank signature ....)

All set...so the question was is using the ice melt product safe for pool use as a hardner. If I use the ice melt, is it the same concentration as a typical pool hardner? Those products have charts on how much to use (I need about 12lbs to raise it by 60). I just didn't want to but the ice melt, add 12lbs, and screw up my pebble finish because the larger granuels sit on the floor of the pool. The hardness up products say they dissolve fast...not sure on the ice melt stuff.

Search for MELT25CCP on Amazon

A fellow TFP'er recommended this to me. Just an example but this is what type of product to look for

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.