Here for the experiment, and knowledge share.

Aug 15, 2018
Rochester
I've been a pool owner for 8 years, mostly trouble free, using the Frog mineral system, but not their expensive Chlorine Bac pacs. Being in Western New York, I generally open early (Tax Day) and close late (Halloween) not that i'm always using it, but the view from my kitchen is so much better with the pool open and i believe that really helped maintain a crystal clear pool with few issues over the years.
I've finally decided to join as I just had my Pentair SD80 spring a leak, and after reviewing all the content i could find on here I didn't find anyone with a combo of a Pentair w/Pro Clear that used ZeoSand. I'm all for being the test monkey and after doing some research and pricing it out I'm spending less on this combo than i could find with normal Sand. I will be swapping the new tank and Zeo this Saturday, and hope i can lend some info on how the next few years treat me and my water with this combo. I'll also hopefully add a thread with the swap and pics if possible (as long as it goes fairly smooth so that swearing and bleading are at a min). I've gotten some great info from this Forum over the years and feel it's payback time.

Did the filter swap and ZeoSand add today. Filter arrived just before noon in a tattered and torn box but appeared in good shape. I had heard horror stories about purchases like this from Amazon but the laterals were all in perfect condition and the only thing missing was a single nut from the collar. Luckily with 2 spares from the old collar no trips to the hardware store. The rest of the swap took about an hour, since i just reused my valve as it had quick disconnects attached on it. Hardest part of course was getting 350lbs plus of wet sand and filter out of the way but with some gentle force i was able to knock the old filter over and roll it out of the way, without hitting any of my plumbing. The rest was easy.....add water, add Zeosand, put the valve back on, attach the quick connects and Backwash the heck out of it (of course bleeding out the air...). I'm gonna say it was 3-4 min of backwashing. But luckily we have gotten some rain up here and the pool was high since i knew the great backwash was coming. But then the water was clear, did a rinse for good measure and away we went. Saw almost no indication of any blow out into the pool upon initial start-up. Since the pool has only been running on recirculate for a few days (with my dolphin nautilus running at least twice a day) I'm interested what it will look like tomorrow...it's stayed clear but also has some organics settling out hear and there. Well i'm off to run the dolphin again...after i clean it out...for what seems like the hundredth time this week.

Had a crystal clear pool thru the closing in Late Oct. Just getting fired up to get it back open this weekend. Ordered my Taylor 2006, and i'm ready start the TFP method. Biggest issue i'm having to start is finding a place to get quality Bleach (not 6% or less). I'm planning still be using pucks to maintain, but no more of that FROG ?, and no more pool store tests. Thanks for the forum, i'll get an opening pic up soon. Had all the water off the cover and most of the leaves cleaned off but we got about an inch of rain this week so gotta drop the pump on the cover again. Can't wait for day's like this pic....

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 14
Vanilla, Do you have a pool store that sells liquid chlorine? You will have to put down a deposit on the jugs but then all you have to do is bring them back for a refill when needed.

If you do us tablets just keep an eye on your CYA as most of them add that to the water. Look in Pool Math for effects of adding each on so you can keep that in mind to know when you are getting close to too high.

Kim:kim:

Just got the pool open over the weekend. Looked great but clearly I've got a metal problem with the stairs. I haven't tested the water yet but even after running the filter for a day it went from slightly cloudy back to crystal clear. I did some research and was considering Naturally Aqua Stain Out and CuLator...but i'm open to suggestions. Planning on testing tonight, first time using a Taylor Kit so I'm rereading the instructions before i go for it.

Attachments

• 2019 pool open angle.jpg
    2019 pool open angle.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 2019 pool open stairs angle.jpg
    2019 pool open stairs angle.jpg
    506.7 KB · Views: 13
Its still a bit early in the season up in the northern parts of the country for most of the stores to have pool chlorine stocked. Its getting close tho, I normally see things on shelves around may.

Until then 6% is a decent alternative and generally is close in terms of being cost effective. Avoid anything that says splashless. fabric protection technology, or chloromax (on chlorox products). You want plain old bleach with nothing added.

Walmart typically will stock 10% pool chlorine for a decent price and you might find some there at this time of year. Any of the local discount stores that sell pool supplies during the summer often stock strong choline as well. You can also check home improvement and hardware stores, home depot, lowes and menards typically carry pool or higher strength chlorine.

Chlorine isn't shelf stable for long and it looses strength sitting on the shelves so stores won't stock it until they know they will sell it.

Been sticking with the 10% from Lowes for $3.98 a gallon, and checking the dates, 19 140 is what i have now, been keeping an eye on that. Seems my lowes goes thru it pretty fast as it's been consistent moving thru the year. Pool looks awesome, biggest test is this weekend, having a huge party, smoking about 50lbs of pork, will do chicken and ribs also. Just tested was .2FC .2CC 7.4PH 170CH CYA down to 50 finally we've had lots of rain so i've had to dump plenty of water, added a Gallon and i'm good to go, will probably hit it with another Gallon Friday just to keep it ready...
and my stairs are back to looking normal....ugly brown stains are gone and all i used was a few handfulls of Vit C a couple times. I'll wait and post pics post weekend shenanigans.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support