Higher flow pump

Hello,

As part of our pool renovation I'm looking to replace the pump. Currently have a Viron P600 that based on its statistics pushes out a maximum of 307Lt per minute under optimal conditions, minimal head etc. The previous pump was a beast and was expensive to run but was pushing 3X what this thing is doing. Our pool has stupid limited amount of returns on it and I'ld like to get a lot more flow.

So, any suggestions on high-flow pool pumps? The pool resurfacing guy is steering me towards the Pentair high-flow pump...such as the Wisperflow XF or similar.

Thoughts?

F

F,

Most high flow pumps are used when you have demand for a lot of water like a waterfall or where you have a lot of returns and you need a lot of water all at once.

Why do you believe that you need more "flow"? What problems are you currently having?

I ask because I have an older pool with only two returns.. the pump runs at 1200 RPM and the filter pressure is only about 6 lbs. Does not make the pool look like a flushing commode, but the pool has worked just fine for many years.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have a VS pump, and I find my filter works much better with a lower flow, rather than higher. I think my old "high flow" pump was pushing dirt through it. It always took a few days to clear the last bit of cloudiness from the pool opening slam. Clears up much faster with the new pump. Skimming and heating works better with a higher flow, but that's the beauty of a VS pump - it can do both (and it is quiet and cheaper to operate).

The only reason I say this is that the pool has developed black spot of the last couple of years and is now in the middle of a total resurfacing...I think there is a few spots in the pool that are getting zero water movement while the pump is running, ie dead spots. The pool is 90,000Lts+ and has one water feature. I'm thinking I move the viron pump and dedicate it to the water feature and then have another pump just to run the pool.

95% of all algae problems are caused by chemical issues and not pump or filter issues.

Are you always keeping your FC and CYA in the proper relationship shown in this chart?... [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

What FC level are you trying to maintain?

Let's hope one of our "Down under" members can chime in, as I am not at all familiar with the pumps that you guys normal use.. I have been impressed with the ones I have seen in pictures here on TFP...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Currently have a Viron P600 that based on its statistics pushes out a maximum of 307Lt per minute under optimal conditions, minimal head etc.

You will find that the P600 pump should push out over 600L / min and not around 300 - Hence the '600' moniker

As stated by others - I really doubt the flow rate is an issue as you may think it is.

Most of us run very low flow rates anyway as we tend to run variable speed pumps at low RPM's which effectively means low overall flow rates.

Note that pool water will tend to have thermal currents anyway so you should not really have any 'dead' spots.

Most of us tend to adjust our flow rates to the minimum RPM possible while still maintaining effective skimming and ensuring that any flow switches (SWG) are still triggered.

If you are worried about any dead spots from a flow perspective - why don't you take some water measurements from these areas and measure FC/CC and compare it to say another area in the pool.

You would want to make up a small water sample collecting tool so that you can take water from a certain depth rather than from the surface. You can easily knock one up from a length of 20mm PVC and some end caps. I'll post a pic of my setup tomorrow if you like.

5iTqtE.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.