Mesh vs Solid for snowy winters

Hi everyone,

Deciding between the following:

Solid ( with drain in the middle ) - I'm leaning towards this due to all day all sun, even in winter when there is no snow on the ground
12 x 24 ft Rectangle Safety Cover Hyper Light Solid | Pool Supplies Canada

or Mesh
12 x 24 ft Rectangle Safety Cover Sunshade 99 Mesh | Pool Supplies Canada

Typical winter to be used for:
1. No leaves will be accumulated - most of tress around are evergreens
2. Snow - No heavy accumulation - if I use my backyard dining table, I'd say, 8-10 inches, maybe 5-8 heavy snowfalls
3. All sun all day

Any insights would be appreciated. I'm planning to install myself as opposed to using my pool guys.

Thanks
David

Personally, I prefer solid.

When I used a mesh cover, the pool was much dirtier at spring opening, and sometimes green if I didn’t close late and open early enough, or if we had a mild winter.

Since switching to a solid cover (actually a solid tarp over my original mesh cover), spring cleaning is MUCH easier and never open to a green pool no matter when I close and open.

I like my solid Mayco pool cover. It just needs a pump to clear water off of it. Pool always opens pretty clean.

I am in the third summer, entering the third winter, in my house and have had an old school tarp/waterbag winter cover the first year, a mesh safety cover last year, and just bought a solid safety cover for this coming year. I went with the mesh safety cover and opened with clear water but very green/dirty bottom this year. When I had the tarp I opened clean and clear. So since I had my pool replastered this year I am paranoid of any possible staining from the limited material that got through this year and bought the solid one. Typically they have shorter lives so I figured in 5-8 years when this solid one meets the end of its useful life I will switch back to the mesh one and by then will not be worried about any possible staining. So long story short, I have had all 3 and would suggest a solid cover, just keep in mind you will need a pump to get the water off the top.

Take a look at this one, I have both the mesh and solid of this and it was easy to install: Amazon.com : Water Warden SCSB1224 Pool Safety Cover for 12 by 24-Feet Pool, Solid Blue : Garden Outdoor

Typically they have shorter lives so I figured in 5-8 years when this solid one meets the end of its useful life ...

I have been using the same solid cover for 17 winters.

Reactions: Cheric1107
Just out of curiosity, OP said solid cover has a drain in center, where would this drain to? For those with solid covers on an ig pool, how do you manage water collection?
I have a mesh cover-water will slowly drain thru. After a wet heavy snowfall the cover will lay on the water or ice, depending on temps. A solid cover would have to be drained. My mesh cover will keep anything smaller than 1/32 of an inch out, however I get a lot of stuff that gets blown under the edge and into the pool. Not to sure how to stop that.

Thanks everyone. From what I'm hearing, mesh does not block sunlight 100%; and depending on when you close and open, water might be green - clear, but green.

And I'm seeing that a solid cover would most likely have clear water when pool is opened in Spring.

Assuming that all the prep work are done the same and done properly - water chemistry, when to close and open, etc

I like my tarp cover - but have never used mesh.

I like the tarp since I can scoop leaves and gunk off it, making my life easier in the spring. None of that residual waste ends up in the pool. I bought a fairly cheap submersible pump from Home Depot and whenever I can, I pump water off the tarp...once things freeze they remain that way until spring, at which point I continue to remove leaves and pump water off the tarp as soon as I can get to them.

Never opened up to a green pool yet....

I like my tarp cover - but have never used mesh.

I like the tarp since I can scoop leaves and gunk off it, making my life easier in the spring. None of that residual waste ends up in the pool. I bought a fairly cheap submersible pump from Home Depot and whenever I can, I pump water off the tarp...once things freeze they remain that way until spring, at which point I continue to remove leaves and pump water off the tarp as soon as I can get to them.

Never opened up to a green pool yet....
Same here and in my 40th closing. That snow gathers a lot of dirt that will end up in the pool doing it any other way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Previous owner used a tarp and water-filled wights. It worked but was a massive pain (weights leaked and needing constant replacing; dogs would bump them out of place in winter (YOU try reasoning with a dog); storage was cumbersome and unsightly. We purchased a solid cover a few years ago and it works great. Really easy to install/remove; folds neatly into bag; looks neater and the dogs can run across it all winter long without a problem (supports a LOT of weight).

Old School for me, closing pools here in Toronto for past 40yrs always using a Heavy Duty solid tarp w straps and water bags. In April I Pump off snow melt & Spring rain water, scoop and remove cover/bags. Yes its a messy, wet and wild clean up of tarp and bags. Benefit - spring always opens to clear, clean water under the pool cover. Closing with a tarp takes a few hours, opening is a full day.(mostly cleaning the tarp and bags)

My dad "up graded" to Mesh safety cover; every spring now has layer of fine dust & algae-green water spring openings. What a mess. The Mesh cover goes ON & OFF easy but it takes weeks & cost / effort to clear the water. He throws a floater with pucks in under the Mesh cover to try to beat back the Algae but the sun light goes thru the mesh and its a challenge. His spring opening is often a week or 2 to repeatedly vac to waste & chemically clear the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.