Pentair Pool light housing is leaking at cord entry point into housing

aquaman

May 28, 2008
Pleasanton, CA
Hi!

Starting new thread as advised as other was old. But this was a great thread:

Amerilite Pool Light Leaks. A Fix and what I've learned

It describes G flex epoxy, make a form, fill it, and encase the housing/wire junction in epoxy (waterproof and more flexible than regular epoxy)

Well, for me: 2 days on Amazon, 22 miles to retail.

What is the diff using Loctite Marine Epoxy? Or RTV silicone for that matter? Adherence? Looking for something in next 24 hrs. Light is sitting on pool coping.

I ask first because it is hard to put the "wrong" goo on a part then wish you hadn't!

He (Bobbystone) turned the light on above ground to try to heat air in fixture to let a little expanded air out to create a vacuum then tightly sealed the lens gasket in the front of the fixture. He was trying to avoid heated air blowing out the repair later, then letting water in he said. Seems to me if you have vacuum you are relying on your bonded material to not let water be pulled in by the vacuum you created. Either way the seal has to hold right?
I am trying to avoid heating a fixture out of water that will have to be replaced if I guess at "what amount of time to heat" is wrong.

Why (since pulling wire is never fun) don't they make these lights with a serviceable connector? A locknut and an O ring. I don't need an answer on that, just more the sealing question. If it doesn't work, well, then hundreds of dollars to have someone put a new light in, because I won't pull wire, too far to the pad to think it will go easily for me.

Thanks!
Bob

I would wait the 2 days and order the G flex epoxy and fix it with something known to work.

I use Boss Silicone 323 for everything I do to my pool that I want not to leak. This is a silicone that sets up and seals out water air and just about anything.

Ideal for applying to the threads of threaded PVC fittings. Much better than Teflon tape. It is rather expensive and hard to find but I get mine from a spc pool supply. It costs 20.00 plus tax. it is in a pressurized can and will keep for a long time. Follow the directions which tell you to expel about 1/2 inch out of the
container and then when you want to reuse it you just pull out that plug and you are ready to go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.