Doheny Discovery Issues

Sep 29, 2016
Dallas, TX
Tried searching all over the web and these forums and couldn't find anything, and it's now after hours for Tech support straight from the source.. so I'm here to see what ideas you all have. When I plug in my cleaner, the lights on both the power supply box and the blue light on the back of the cleaner light up but the cleaner doesn't move - it just sits there. Any ideas on what I can check to get this thing working? Thanks!

I think the Discovery is a Maytronics Dolphin, so here is an excerpt from the troubleshooting guide:

My Dolphin power supply turns on, but the Dolphin does not move:

• If the Dolphin doesn’t move AT ALL, there could be a problem with your cable. Take your Dolphin to an authorized Dolphin dealer for testing.
  • If your Dolphin moves a little and then stops (anywhere from a few feet to a few minutes), there could be an obstruction somewhere in the drive train or around the impeller.
  • Visually inspect the unit, especially around the impeller and around the tracks/brushes. If there is any visible debris, remove it.
  • Try to rotate the brushes by hand. They should move freely in both directions with minimal resistance. If they do not, or you feel/hear clicking or popping, there’s probably an obstruction you cannot see. Take your Dolphin to an authorized Dolphin dealer for testing.
  • If no obstruction exists, you probably need a replacement motor unit. Take your Dolphin to an authorized Dolphin dealer for testing.

You should also be able to do the "dry" test by flipping the robot upside down and pressing the ON button on the power supply. The brushes should move in one direction and then the other, and the impeller will run for a few seconds. If it seems like it's trying to move, but can't, there may be an obstruction. Make sure you turn it off after this test. Also make sure the cable is connected to the power supply securely.

It is the same as a Maytronics S200 and Dolphin Active20. Mine did that and it was a bad motor. A local authorized Maytronics dealer repaired it for free under warranty.

I've had my Doheny's Discovery cleaner for about 2 years. In that time, I've had a similar problem twice. The first time, it was a problem with the power supply and they shipped me a new one. The second time, it was a problem with the motor and I took it in to be repaired.

In any case, give Maytronics USA a call and they should be able to help you.

So I checked the impeller and nothing was in there. I flipped it over on it's back and tried moving the tracks. I was able to move it, but it seemed resistant.. I then turned the power on while it was on it's back and the tracks began moving. When I dropped it back in the water and turned it back on, same thing - lights turned on but no movement. I called Maytronics and they said I need to mail it in to them. Unfortunate that I'll have to pay to ship it off, but I'm glad the service and repair will be covered by warranty. Just snuck it in under the 2 year mark!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.