Replacing Noisy Fan Motor On AquaComfort Heat Pump

Chuck_Davis

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 6, 2010
Durham, NC
This is a follow-up to a thread from 2014.

Noisy Heat Pump

Back in 2014 several of us had the fan motor on our AquaComfort AC-1250 heat pumps fail. AquaComfort did not sell replacement parts. The only source for replacement motors was a third party called Medallion Energy, whose prices were outrageous. ($399 for the motor and $79 for the run cap.) Luckily my Pool Store/AquaComfort dealer happened to have an old motor gathering dust on a back shelf that I was able to pick up for $299.

The Bad News - My fan motor just failed again. They seem to last around 4 years.

The Good News - I contacted Medallion Energy. They wanted $649 (!) for the motor, fan blade and run cap. I also contacted my local dealer to see if he might have another old motor on that back shelf. He didn't, but he informed me that AquaComfort is now selling replacement kits for the fan assembly. I was able to get the motor, fan blade and run cap for $308. The motor is a different brand than the original, and seems more substantial. Hopefully it will last more than four years.

The Bad News - Unless you are handy with tools, you will probably want to have your dealer install this new kit. The wires are shorter, so you will have to re-route the wiring between the motor and control box. This will involve drilling a 1" hole in plastic and metal, probably replacing the flex with Liquidtight and using a 90-degree Liquidtight connector into the control box. The wiring connections are different, but the documentation is clear. The run cap is oval rather than round, so you will have to (carefully) drill a couple of holes in the back of the control box and fasten the run cap to the wall using a tie-wrap. Leave the old run cap in place to keep critters out of the control box.

The Good News - The new motor and fan blade seem to be much quieter than the old assembly.

Additional Note - It is a good idea to replace the run cap for the compressor every 3-5 years or when replacing the fan assembly. The 80 microfarad rating for this run cap apparently is unusual. The only source I was able to find was online at:

CBB65-370R806-M1 80 uF 370 VAC Capacitor - Capacitor Industries

Be sure to short out any capacitor before working on or around it.

Last edited:
In general, yes. I have had to replace the fan motor several times, and the thermistor once, but luckily for me I have the tools and skills to do it myself. I'm hoping to get more than 4 years out of the newer model fan motor.

Aquacomfort used to have somebody else make their units, and parts could change over time. You might check and see if they are now doing their own manufacturing or are still OEMing.

Well then, I just purchased the 1100. Seems as though the parts manufacturer is still OEM. Like yourself, any additional labor I can execute so I'm not that fussed. I could settle for 4 years too!

Will follow up.

Be safe and tanks for the response.

Be sure to download the Service Manual. I'm getting ready to replace the temperature sensor for the second time. They gradually drift off-spec, but you can input a +/- 10 degree adjustment via the control panel per instructions in the SM. Mine is now beyond that 10 degree range.

Just joined the forum. Really like Chuck Davis's very informative post on replacing noisy Aquacomfort fan motor assembly. My own AC1750 started making a lot of noise last season. At first, it would start when I fired up the heater and then stop after about five minutes very annoying. After a while, I would have to give the top cover a good smack and it would stop. Now at the start of this season, smacking it does no good. Just rattles away.
Obtained a replacement motor from Medallion Energy. $399 for motor and capacitor. Disappointment! Still makes the noise!

Did I get a bad motor? Could it be the fan itself? It sure seems solid. Not sure where to dump more money.

I'm not sure what is going on, but I may have nearly stumbled into the same briar patch recently.

I needed to replace the temperature sensor (for the second time). I called the tech support number on the Aquacomfort web site. The person who answered asked what number I had called and then assumed the identity of AquaComfort tech support. As the conversation progressed, it came out that I was actually talking with Medallion Energy (who had been non-responsive to an online inquiry about the sensor). I ended up getting the sensor from my local dealer for the same price.

In 2018 I ordered the replacement motor and fan blade assembly through my local dealer, who had told me that AquaComfort was now selling parts via their dealer network. This was the different motor/fan assembly that also proved to be much quieter the the original (two) motor/fans.

You might check with your AquaComfort dealer to see if they can source a better/quieter/cheaper motor and fan assembly from AquaComfort. Then see if you can return the "defective" (?) unit to Medallion. If you don't have a local dealer, try Rising Sun Pools in Raleigh. Ask for Duane. Don't forget to replace the run capacitor also.

(Are you sure the noise is coming from the fan motor and not the blade assembly or the compressor? Try the old screwdriver as a stethoscope trick to be sure. You could also run the motor with the blade assembly removed.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.