Chemical help

Aug 6, 2018
Sheridan, OR
I am a new pool owner and am trying to balance the water in my pool. I have a 24' round, above ground pool with a Purex Triton Meteor sand filter.

I tested the water using a test strip and these are my levels.
Total hardness =250
Total chlorine = 0
Free chlorine =0
PH =6.2
Total Alkalinity = 120
Stabilizer =0

What should I address first and how long do I wait between adding each chemical?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20180806_172340.jpg
    IMG_20180806_172340.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20180806_172324.jpg
    IMG_20180806_172324.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 21
Hey Martin! :wave: Welcome to the forum. I'm going to make this first reply quick then refer you to a few links. So here we go:
- New water has no stabilizer (CYA), so add enough for a minimum of 30 for now.
- Using liquid chlorine or regular bleach, increase FC to about 3 this evening, then after the stabilizer is all dissolved balance the FC to the CYA of 30 as noted on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].
- Keep the pH in the mid 7s.
- The main chemical caution - never add bleach and muriatic acid to the same location at the same time. But your pH is low, so you'll increase it with Borax which is available as 20 Mule Team® Borax Natural Laundry Booster.

That's very basic starting. Please read our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and read/save the Vital Links below in my signature. You'll refer to them always. For bleach, never use splashless scented, or anything with fabric/polymers - just regular/plain. Check back with us if you have more questions.

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.