Filling new pool in 2days need a little help

Icemannocal

Bronze Supporter
Dec 10, 2017
Roseville Ca
My gemstone plaster is going in in the morning and acid wash Tuesday and fill. I have read the pool school and I think it’s called NPT start up procedures. I have had my fill water tested.From what I read I start with a metal conditioner even if my test showed no metals? Here are my numbers.
fac 0.5
tac. 0.5
salt 0
ch. 60
cya 0
TA. 70
PH 7.8
copper 0
iron. 0
phoshates 0.

Says to start with PH, so with a 7.8 should I start to lower it some since it seems likely it will start to rise with a pebble finish? And should I start to raise my CH the first day?
Any tips you want to share I am all ears and appreciate all input. I will post more build pics when it is full.
this will be a salt pool but I was told and read I need to wait 30 days before adding salt and turning on swag.

It is important to follow whatever start up recommendations your builder has to protect your warranty. We may post some info different from what the builder says but most builders require you follow their start up procedures. It doesn't necessarily mean one of us is wrong. If your builder doesn't give start up instructions ask for them. If there is still no instruction then we will help you get the pool started.

Congrats on the new pool! Before you do anything, check with your installer. You should have a warranty period on that new work and you don't want them to cry foul if you did something you're not supposed to. In the meantime, make sure to read our TFP Pool School - Start-up New Plaster page as that will arm you with some good info. It speaks of the metal sequestrant and everything. What concerns me is your test results. They appear to be from a pool store. If you don't have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit, that really needs to be on order ASAP before the water goes in. With a new investment like a pool, you can't afford not to have one of those kits. I have the TF-100 (with magnetic speedstir) and it's fantastic. Yes, the salt will wait for 30 days, so you'll chlorinate manually like us non-salt pool owners. Just follow the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] and you'll do fine. Also make sure to take note of everything the installer adds to the water. Brand name and amounts.
Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Relax. Your fill water looks good. Don’t be trigger happy to be dumping chemicals in it. Follow your PB advice first as he is warranty his work.

PH control with MA and maintaining a FC level will be your initial focus.

I should have mentioned I am an owner builder. So my plaster guys will drop a hose in and leave, the rest is up to me. They have a start up sheet that seems to be inline with npc start up procedures.
Also I did have the test done at a store but have the test kit that I bought here being shipped now. I bought the tf-100.

I should have mentioned I am an owner builder. So my plaster guys will drop a hose in and leave, the rest is up to me. They have a start up sheet that seems to be inline with npc start up procedures.

How about posting the startup sheet you have and letting us comment about it.

Your plaster guys should be giving you some warranty.

When getting the pool balanced for the first time, since my pool will be a salt pool, but I can’t add salt for a minimum of 30 days and have to use chlorine first while waiting, when getting my TA up, do I shoot for the recommended TA level for a chlorine pool ar a salt pool?

When getting the pool balanced for the first time, since my pool will be a salt pool, but I can’t add salt for a minimum of 30 days and have to use chlorine first while waiting, when getting my TA up, do I shoot for the recommended TA level for a chlorine pool ar a salt pool?

TA targets do not vary between type of pool.

How about posting what your targets are?

on my card in my TF 100 test kit that was recommended here, it says target is 60-90 for salt pools and 100-120 for manual chlorinated pools

Lower TA is better for a SWG pool that experiences rising PH.

Anywhere in that range of 60 - 120 is fine for you. Manage your PH and only worry about TA if it is falling below 60.

Test your fill water and you will know what TA you will start with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is day 2after being filled, My TA is 80 and PH is 7.5. Some of the tests give target numbers for salt then a different target for chlorine, and mine will be chlorine for the first 30 days until I can add salt, so I was wanting to know which numbers I should shoot for. Salt or chlorine

TA is not a critical value as long as pH stays fairly steady. During this first year you will have more pH rise as the plaster cures than you will in subsequent years. SWG pools also tend to have a little more frequent rise in pH. Focus on keeping the pH in a stable range and the TA will be fine.

numbers today

FAC 6.5
TAC 7.5
CH. 125
CYA. 50
TA. 100
PH. 7.8

This is day 4 of new pool. I started with TA, then PH, then CH,Then CYA and chlorine. This is my first pool and first time using a test kit (T-100). Any suggestions on my numbers. Per the advice here I am running as non swg for 4-6 weeks when I can add salt. Should I continue to raise CH? I read on here that CH will rise with new plaster, is that because it is leached out of plaster. Should I keep slowly adding so it does not?
any advise is appreciated.

Overall great numbers. Of course you expect the pH to climb with that new plaster, so simply watch that. The HC is a bit low for a plaster pool. That may change a little during the curing process, but I'd watch that to ensure it meet the CH minimum shown on the TFP Recommended Levels page (link below). Other than that, good job with your new TF-100! :goodjob:

Did you use test kit to test fill water? Doing so gives you a feel for what’s already there (FC, TA, CH, pH). I agree CH is low and may rise a little as suggested above but if it were me I would bump it up to 200/250. Follow the charts and the process...very good job!

ABC’s of Pool Water Chemistry

Chlorine/CYA Chart

Here are my numbers today. And I am a little confused on fc cc. I am able to test for it, and can see from the chart in pool school with my cya numbers where I am supposed to be but how do you know how much to add if my fc needs to be higher.

PH 7.5
TA 100
CH 175 added some yesterday
fc 2
cc 1
cya 50

for chlorine am I always looking at fc and cya then look,at the chart? What exactly is cc and what does that number do for me?
I added about a gallon 2days ago, does it take that much to get right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.