First Time Building a Pool, Houston, TX. area

ware462

Bronze Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Magnolia, TX
Hi, everyone!

I am new to TFP as well as new to having a pool built. I have had 2 previous pools that already existed with the house I was purchasing, but always paid someone to keep the chemicals up to par. I plan to do the pool maintenance myself with my new pool and with the help of this site.

Unfortunately, I did not find TFP before choosing my PB or starting construction so I can't take advantage of the contract or design advice that I have seen in some of the other posts. I hope we are getting near the end of construction, but I have been saying that for 3 months now. Please let me know if you all agree, but one of my contract suggestions to others is to have written into the contract some form of remedy for the PB going drastically over the stated pool completion time frame. My contract states 45 working days (adjusted for delays not controlled by the builder such as weather), but I am still waiting for completion when the excavation started on Feb. 12, 2018.

Remaining to be done are deck color, mastic, and plaster. My PB speaks highly of StoneScapes and talked me into it. I had selected the Aqua White Mini Pebble plaster, but his supplier was first out of white mini pebbles (finally got some put on hold for my job) and now is out of the dye for the Aqua White color. The pool was prepped today and was supposed to be plastered tomorrow, but they informed me today the dye was not available. Sorry, I am getting quite wordy. The pool has been at this point for almost 2 months. The PB offered to do Pebble Sheen a few weeks ago, but he wanted an extra $1360 which was supposedly his cost for the PS over the SS. Today he says he is tired of all this (and sorry for the extended delays in the pool completion) and has offered to do the PS with shimmering sea additive for nothing extra, but I will have to wait another 1.5 weeks to get on schedule for the applicator. I believe the dye will be available before then for the SS, but I am sure everyone's suggestion would be to take him up on his offer of PS for no additional cost? I am just so ready to have my pool completed! I have a lot of teachers in my family and thought we easily started in time for the pool to be completed for the summer break so everyone could enjoy the pool, but sadly no.

I am not sure how many pictures can be submitted here at once, but I will include some throughout the process. I only have a to-scale drawing I did of the pool because several changes were made from the initial design (no computer design). Biggest change was having to stagger the width of one end of the pool because of where the electrical line came into the house and doing the other side for symmetry. I could not make the pool any wider because I have an outrageous 14ft easement from my fence. In case anyone is curious, price is $49,645.

IMG_1651.jpgIMG_1604.jpgIMG_1620.jpgIMG_1632.jpgIMG_1649.jpgIMG_1669.jpgIMG_1672.jpgIMG_1674.jpgIMG_1670.jpg

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Order a TF100 test kit
The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

I also have the SpeedStir. It makes testing much easier.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

You may also want to get the Pool Math app.

Welcome to TFP...

Look at you with your shiny supporter badge and signature set up like you have done this before. Awesome and thanks so much for supporting TFP! Nice layout on the pool and you have been given some good links for required reading. Did you install a light over the equipment pad? For me it comes in handy when using the pool at night which we do often due to this Texas heat.

Keep the questions coming as folks are here to help!

Thanks for all the welcomes!

My PB is supposed to give me a test kit, but I am sure it will not be what I need so I will likely purchase one of Marty's suggestions. I read the ABC's. Looks like I need to be prepared with some muriatic acid to keep the PH down with a new pool.

I did not have a light installed above the equipment, but that sounds like a good idea so I will look into it.

It is not time for me to do it yet, but how do you know how hard to brush the new plaster? I assume brushing the new plaster regularly for a while after application is still required? I was planning to just fill my pool with my hose, but now I am unsure after reading about it on this site. I am also unsure where I would get the water if I do not use my hose.

Does anyone have some experience with StoneScapes mini-pebble plaster and Pebble Sheen? Is the only real difference the fact that applicators are more controlled for the Pebble Sheen and therefore considered better in most cases or is there considered to be a real difference in the materials themselves?

Thanks,
Brian

Hi and welcome to the best place you can find for real and in my opinion honest answers. You will find they ask a lot of question of you dont worry the answer to every question is here on this site. If you cant find it someone will. I see in your picture a chlorine tab feeder i had one too it caused me much misery feel free to ask why. mine is now laying on the ground beside my new chlorine generator AKA SWG. So good luck and please keep pics coming .

Yes, Jimmie, I would like to know why.

I was looking at information on Borates and the benefits sounded similar to some of the benefits of using the Nature2 cartridge. My Fusion chlorinator has a chlorine tab feeder on one side and a Nature2 cartridge on the other. After brief investigation, it seems this site discourages the use of the Nature2 cartridge. Is this true?

My previous pool had a Nature2 cartridge in the plumbing which I did not use the first few years because I did not know what it was and never took the time to figure it out. I finally did and decided to buy a cartridge for it. The pool guy I was using noticed using less chemicals to keep my levels correct after I started using the cartridge. With my very limited knowledge, my experience with the Nature2 cartridge was positive. If there are problems associated with using these cartridges, I do not want to start my new pool using them. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

The Nature2 mineral pack release copper and silver ions into your water. Both, in time, will stain your pool surface. Copper will turn blonde hair green.

Read Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!

For long term success in keeping a clean, sanitary, TFP pool we recommend using either liquid chlorine or a saltwater chlorine generator for chlorinating your pool water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Nature2 mineral pack release copper and silver ions into your water. Both, in time, will stain your pool surface. Copper will turn blonde hair green.

Read Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!

For long term success in keeping a clean, sanitary, TFP pool we recommend using either liquid chlorine or a saltwater chlorine generator for chlorinating your pool water.

Like mknauss says long term success requires knowing what you put in your pool water does not just short term but over extended time , The nature does two things that over time can or will cause problems one is the minerals two only using stabilized pucks will lead to rising cya that has plenty of problems as you can read here at TFP hundreds of people have posted "help high cya" Me being one sadly.

I am going with the Pebble Sheen in Aqua Blue with the shimmering sea additive. Plaster is scheduled for Monday! Let's hope so. There is some rain in the forecast so I am unsure if they will show. I will post more pictures if we make some progress.

Plaster went in yesterday and was finished up today! Pool is filling as I write this!

Attachments

• 3E46EDDC-E188-425E-A8C0-8FEE6BACA203.jpg
    3E46EDDC-E188-425E-A8C0-8FEE6BACA203.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 196
  • C80B55D2-428F-43C7-9EAB-E77E25C118AC.jpg
    C80B55D2-428F-43C7-9EAB-E77E25C118AC.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 199
Don’t stop the water for anything! To avoid a bath tub ring.

Here is the pic of the full pool the day after getting full, finished filling at 11pm. This was before any chemicals were added. Now we still need the deck finished and the mastic installed. I am unsure why that wasn’t done before the plaster, but it is what it is! Getting near the finish line!

Attachments

• EFE92C20-E382-4C8F-B36A-332B47CE1E86.jpg
    EFE92C20-E382-4C8F-B36A-332B47CE1E86.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 144
Thanks, Cliff! I can’t wait to get in. I am also curious to see if the chiller works as it is supposed to down here in this humidity. I hope I didn’t waste money on it! Also curious to see how much it will cost me to use it. ��

Oh my you got a chiller! Yes the humidity in H-Town is high but I wish I had told you about the PS2 (not a video game) method which is so much less expensive and works great...PS2 method is got out to pool and if humidity is bad eat 2 popsicles...guaranteed to make you feel better :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.