Barrington, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
A few weeks ago I changed all laterals on my Triton II sand filter since I was getting sand in my pool and a few turned out to be broken. I’m still getting sand now. Any ideas what else it could be?

OK

Can you get a sample of the sand in the pool? Is it gritty? Not slimy? Concerned it could be dead algae.

Well, most likely something internal to the filter is compromised. I do not have experience working on a sand filter so other members will join in.

Take care.

Thanks. Question for the group is when sand gets worn down does it get through the filters? The sand was changed 3 years ago so I guess there is a chance it needs to be changed?

Sand does not get worn down in a pool filter. Sand never needs to be changed unless it becomes compromised by pool store potions.

A working sand filter does not allow pool sand back into the pool.

Perhaps it was not pool sand? Perhaps the laterals (I think those twist in) didn't get seated properly? Perhaps the stand pipe got dislodged?

I'm guessing on all these but perhaps it will help to track down the issue.

When did your system start spitting sand?

Check the stand pipe for hairline cracks that will open up when the filter is under pressure. Check that the stand pipe is seated fully in the filter at the base and at the top. Check the spider gasket in the multiport valve. If it is loose or worn down it can cause sand to leak out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the responses. It started about two months ago.

I checked the spider gasket and that looks in good shape.

So it sounds like everyone agrees that it’s something with the parts inside the filter? Either the laterals aren’t in right, stand pipe cracked or not set in base correctly, anything else? I’m debating on buying all the parts and just returning what I don’t use since I have to take the sand out again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.