Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Hello everyone.

this post has an interesting twist.
Since joining TFP, I have meant to post a review of this unit, which I bought July 17, 2017 (so 1 year 1 week ago from this post date).
I have really liked the unit, it holds a charge well, has good suction... my kids and I use it to touch up around the stairs and deep end between regular vacuumings with the pump.

I have always washed it with fresh water and dried it after each use.

low and behold, today it would not power on. Actually since 2 days ago. I made doubly sure the battery was charged. note this is the Li (lithium ion) model.
anyway, i have contacted WaterTech for warranty claim... who knows what they will say. it supposedly has 1 year... and I am 1 year + 1 week into ownership.
If they are difficult, I will point out that although I bought it July 17, it was an amazon purchase and was shipped to me 1 week later... I am literally right on the 1 year mark... but I digress...

so as i was saying, I have been liking it, and would have recommended it to anyone, had it not failed!

I was looking at it tonight and saw not many screws hold it together. I also could hear water sloshing around in it. So I took it apart.

What a surprise I found!

so the main motor compartment was flooded. and I would say it had been for a while. the water was black and scuzzy. the terminals on the wires were fully corroded and the positive leads(red) had actually rusted right off. both from the switch and the motor(and the battery). the battery is in a separate sub compartment so I didn't open that, it may be safe.

how did the water get in I wondered. it didnt take long to figure out. the rubber cover that is over the on off switch, had split slightly. you can see it in the photo sort of.

such a shame to have that part be the part that failed.

I don't know if I can repair this. I hope water tech will. if they wont, it might be a simple matter of re-attaching all the wires (to switch, battery and motor) that had rusted out at solder points. you will see in 1 photo, a tiny brown capacitor as well. one of its legs is missing. the black lead has one too, it's intact. I dont know why that little cap is there nor what it does. it may be a small booster cap for motor startup?

anyway - that's my review - a good unit - but failed 1 year due to a leaky rubber switch cover. even if i can repair all the powerline parts, there is still the issue that the switch cover is split and that is not easy to fix. glue wont cut it. the part moves, so any kind of rubber weld will just split again as soon as the switch is depressed.

View attachment 83294image2(1).jpgimage1(3).jpg

Attachments

• image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
We just bought ours, and after one use, it no longer powers up. It’s probably the same issue. I’m going to have to contact Amazon for a return as well. I love the idea of a cordless pool vacuum, but they’re pretty useless if they can’t withstand being submerged.

hi - waking this thread up from the dead.

the company agreed to send me a new motor & case. on aug 21 it hadn't shown up (1 month), so I emailed them again.
part came next day and I just got it swapped out this afternoon.

so now once again happy with this little unit and obviously a fantastic warranty.

i bet this red button failed on many units over the years.
i pilfered the nice li-on cells out of the old motor head before I chucked it. they are very heavy duty!

Last edited:
the rebuild unit failed this season and being familiar with how to open it, I found water again... this time the leak source was not identifiiable. 5 years old, expect them to last 3 seasons max... buy something cheaper if you have to replace it often :)

Reactions: wildfan
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.