New build equipment questions... SWG, Please help

Jul 10, 2018
Livermore, CA
Hello all,
My new pool is getting close to being finished and this is all new to me so I have a lot of questions. The pool is an In Ground, Gunite pool with spa, 13,000 Gal. The finish will be a Wet Edge Serenity Stone finish. The Equipment package that is in my contract is Hayward VS Omni Automation, 4025 SwimClear cartridge filter, Hayward Ecostar Variable Speed Pump, Hayward aquanaut Suction sweep, Hayward color logic LED lights.

I plan on purchasing a quality test kit as recommended here and taking care of my own pool. Due to work, I am away from home for days at a time so I am looking for convenience in keeping my pool in good shape. Therefore, I was interested in using a SWG system. I asked my PB for an estimate to add the SWG and this was the response I got...

- "Aquarite control panel operates separate from V.S. Omni control panel"

- "The chlorine that the Aquarite system makes has a high PH. You have to add consistent muriatic acid to keep the PH down in range. If you don't keep the PH in range it will scale the interior finish and tile."

- "The Aquarite cell has to be inspected every 3 months and cleaned as necessary, if you don't clean, you get scale build-up in the cell and it can burn out the cell which is not covered under warranty."

- "PB does not warranty damage caused by salt water. Salt water is hard on plaster, tile, grout, deck, ledgestone and equipment."

I've done some research on this topic because from the beginning, the PB was anti SWG and trying to sell me the Hayward Hydrorite UVO3. From the info here, glad I didn't do that. I'm curious on peoples thoughts and/or personal experiences to support or argue these comments.

Also, the cost to add this is $2900! Does that seem reasonable? Because it doesn't to me. I've found these systems for $900 online(granted thats with no mark-up, but still). Are you telling me its an additional $2000 to install the SWG when they are already going to be here installing the rest of the equipment.

Which leads me to my next question... Can I wait(since I can't use the SWG for the first 30 days after interior finish install) and purchase this and install it myself??? I am fairly handy but have no experience with a pool and would hate to ruin my new pool. Any advice would help!

Thanks!

Hello all,
My new pool is getting close to being finished and this is all new to me so I have a lot of questions. The pool is an In Ground, Gunite pool with spa, 13,000 Gal. The finish will be a Wet Edge Serenity Stone finish. The Equipment package that is in my contract is Hayward VS Omni Automation, 4025 SwimClear cartridge filter, Hayward Ecostar Variable Speed Pump, Hayward aquanaut Suction sweep, Hayward color logic LED lights.

I plan on purchasing a quality test kit as recommended here and taking care of my own pool. Due to work, I am away from home for days at a time so I am looking for convenience in keeping my pool in good shape. Therefore, I was interested in using a SWG system. I asked my PB for an estimate to add the SWG and this was the response I got...

- "Aquarite control panel operates separate from V.S. Omni control panel"

- "The chlorine that the Aquarite system makes has a high PH. You have to add consistent muriatic acid to keep the PH down in range. If you don't keep the PH in range it will scale the interior finish and tile."

- "The Aquarite cell has to be inspected every 3 months and cleaned as necessary, if you don't clean, you get scale build-up in the cell and it can burn out the cell which is not covered under warranty."

- "PB does not warranty damage caused by salt water. Salt water is hard on plaster, tile, grout, deck, ledgestone and equipment."

I've done some research on this topic because from the beginning, the PB was anti SWG and trying to sell me the Hayward Hydrorite UVO3. From the info here, glad I didn't do that. I'm curious on peoples thoughts and/or personal experiences to support or argue these comments.

Also, the cost to add this is $2900! Does that seem reasonable? Because it doesn't to me. I've found these systems for $900 online(granted thats with no mark-up, but still). Are you telling me its an additional $2000 to install the SWG when they are already going to be here installing the rest of the equipment.

Which leads me to my next question... Can I wait(since I can't use the SWG for the first 30 days after interior finish install) and purchase this and install it myself??? I am fairly handy but have no experience with a pool and would hate to ruin my new pool. Any advice would help!

Thanks!

If you are getting the OmniLogic, then it will control the cell. You just need to add the cell, and install kit.

True that SWG does drive pH up. Just need to test and keep pH in range to avoid scaling.

True a light will come on reminding you to inspect cell every 3 months. If you keep pool balanced, there is no scale build up and no need to clean it.

Salt damage is overstated.

Warranty is up to them.

2900 sounds way overpriced. Easy to add after the fact. A little PVC plumbing, plug the cell and flow switch into controller, turn on SWG in programming.

Welcome to TFP...

Lots of PB's are against SWG but you will find lots of folks here that like them including me. $2900 seems steep considering your situation. Seems it would be best if you can work it out with PB to do the install now. Thats just my opinion and how I would want to do it. More folks will come along with more solid advice to get you going. Here are a few things to look at:

ABC’s of Pool Water Chemistry

Chlorine/CYA Chart

Salt Water Chlorine Generators (SWG)

Test Kits Compared

Read This Before you Post

$900 sounds about right. $2900 is the "you won't do what I say so I'm going to stick it to you" price. Half of that would still be overpriced.

I'd wait the 30 days, install it myself or find another authorized installer to come out and put one in for a couple hundred bucks over retail. (Even that is high, IMO, it's a 30 minute job.)

If you wait to put the SWG in later see that there is a straight run of plumbing after the filter and heater before the returns where it can easily be cut in.

Thank you everyone for your help! I really appreciate it. I called a local repair technician to see what the installation would cost and they said $300. So if I purchased the system online for around $900, That would be a far stretch from $2900!

Has anyone had a builder install this system recently and remember the cost? Thanks

And that $900 would include the controller. With the Omnilogic, you do not need the controller. Just the Cell and the plumbing kit (with flow sensor). Should be <$600 I think.

And that $900 would include the controller. With the Omnilogic, you do not need the controller. Just the Cell and the plumbing kit (with flow sensor). Should be <$600 I think.

So I think the system that I am supposed to get is the VS Omni... Its a new system from Hayward that uses a variable speed pump and automatic control app that can run up to 4 things. I think thats why the PB is saying it will not run the Aquarite. Would it be better to try and upgrade to the omni logic and run everything off that? Thanks

I think this is the product that your PB is recommending.

https://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/e...-speed-pumps-with-smart-pool-control-i-vsomni

I have had a similar experience with my PB's. None recommended putting in SWG, but they all had them in their showrooms. Once I insisted on the SWG the willingly added it to their quotes. My PB quoted $1700, then marked down to $1200, but we added a few other things at the same time.

Just a thought for you to consider, if you want to tie in all of your automation you could ask your PB about going with the Omni or ProLogic with a standard VS pump. Then the SWG could be added to either of these systems with just the T-Cell and P-kit for little additional expense. I am going over all of this right now with our PB.

Additional thought:
One thing that convinced me to override my PB recommendation against the SWG (besides all the positive posts on TFP site!) was a simple google search. Search for "damage from salt water pools" and you will see a lot of posts and articles that explain the hazardous conditions for using SWG. Then switch google to do an image search on that same topic, and there are VERY few examples of actual damage from salt water. This gave me some peace of mind.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just think skilva108 with all that money you just saved you can consider becoming a TFP supporter :)

See link in my signature...every little bit helps. Thanks in advance!

Thank you everyone for your help! I really appreciate it. I called a local repair technician to see what the installation would cost and they said $300. So if I purchased the system online for around $900, That would be a far stretch from $2900!

Has anyone had a builder install this system recently and remember the cost? Thanks

I think this is the product that your PB is recommending.

https://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/e...-speed-pumps-with-smart-pool-control-i-vsomni

I have had a similar experience with my PB's. None recommended putting in SWG, but they all had them in their showrooms. Once I insisted on the SWG the willingly added it to their quotes. My PB quoted $1700, then marked down to $1200, but we added a few other things at the same time.

Just a thought for you to consider, if you want to tie in all of your automation you could ask your PB about going with the Omni or ProLogic with a standard VS pump. Then the SWG could be added to either of these systems with just the T-Cell and P-kit for little additional expense. I am going over all of this right now with our PB.

Additional thought:
One thing that convinced me to override my PB recommendation against the SWG (besides all the positive posts on TFP site!) was a simple google search. Search for "damage from salt water pools" and you will see a lot of posts and articles that explain the hazardous conditions for using SWG. Then switch google to do an image search on that same topic, and there are VERY few examples of actual damage from salt water. This gave me some peace of mind.

jay_mcc2,
That is correct. I believe that is what is included. I sent the PB an email and asked about switching to the omni logic instead with the VS pump and then adding the t-cell. We'll see what they say... Don't think they're gonna be very happy with my email though!

I was the same way... they were trying to sell me on the UVO 3 and I almost bit until I started looking into it. I know several people with salt systems, none with a UVO system! And my hope is that If I stay on top of and manage my pool properly with the help of this site, I wont have any problems.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll look into that...

Oh, I highly recommend a UV system! Mine came with the pool and it works great. Doesn't require any maintenance and doesn't use any electricity. I'm trying to remember the brand... oh yah... THE SUN!!
:sunny:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.