Stains out of the return jets

bpdunlv

Apr 4, 2017
Las Vegas
Hi,

I have a couple of different stains in the pool. One is from the return jets, I don't know if this is from the SWG pumping out too much chlorine or just scaling. I also think I have calcium scaling on the steps of the pool and some of the sides. It is slightly yellowish in some areas and kind of gray/mineraly in others. Is this calcium scaling? I am having a hard time keeping my PH down. I have a 2 foot spillover that causes aeration plus the SWG and hard water to begin with. The fill water is about 300 on the CH test and I have never been able to get it below 500

Test results using TP-100
FC:4.5
CC:0
PH: 7.5
TA:80
CYA:40
CH:650

The PH would be north of 8.2 then I would add muratic acid and bring it down to 7.4ish, then 5-6 days later it would be back up to 8.2+. I am now checking the PH every day and adding acid about every other day to bring it down to 7.2 and letting it rise to keep the TA between 60-80.
I am also adding stablizer to get the CYA up to 70-80 but that doesn't seem to move up easily.

I know a drain and acid wash is the only solution, but is there any brush that I can use to try first to see if it helps? Other than a standard brush?
And is that strange to get the stains around the returns?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 149
Wish I could help with this but the water experts will have to help. Good to see that you understand your numbers and taking steps to correct. Good job! Hang in there as Im sure more help is on the way....

Could it be an iron stain? I live in Las Vegas and have city water. The only things I have ever added to my pool is:
Muratic Acid
Liquid Chlorine
Stabilizer (CYA)
I added salt once

Per pool school "Inorganic Stains
Many people find out that they have metal in their water when unsightly stains appear. These stains commonly appear shortly after the PH is raised; often when adding chlorine"

Can I get these stains from adding chlorine and acid around the same time? I never mix them but have added them at the same time on opposite ends of the pool by filling up a 5 gallon bucket with water and adding the chlorine and dumping it in the pool. Then repeat with the muratic acid at the other end.

I guess it could not hurt to try the vitamin C trick right?

Ok so I did the Vitamin C test and it did remove the stains for the most part. Is there a giant vitamin C block that i can use to just rub the steps where it looks bad and not do the full on treatment listed in pool school? Or am I better off doing the treatment? Has anyone done the treatment before? Where did you buy the bulk absorbic acid?

My final question is, how did I get these stains in the first place? I want to make sure I do whatever I can not to get them again. I even have some rust buildup in the holes in my return jets so it was pretty bad.

Thanks

You can get bulk Absorbic Acid on eBay and Amazon.

But before treating the pool, you may want to find out where the metal (iron) came from. Have your fill water tested for iron to see if that is the source.

I doubt it would be from the city water in general considering there are thousands of pools in the city and I have not heard of it being a huge problem. If the iron were high could it be something in the pipes in my house? Would I just buy the iron kit from home depot or is there a test that everyone uses on here?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Taylor makes an iron test kit (K-1716) but it is pretty expensive. There are some strip tests available too. Just search for iron test kit.

And yes, the source could be anywhere in the fill water lines.

Taylor makes an iron test kit (K-1716) but it is pretty expensive. There are some strip tests available too. Just search for iron test kit.

And yes, the source could be anywhere in the fill water lines.

The old school, just built a pool & iron test is-
Fills a bucket with fill water & add a few drops of liquid chlorine..

The gentleman who taught me that is 93 years old
& built 1000s of pools’s across New England, from the 1960s to 1990s..

The bucket will start to stain yellow-brown for iron in the water. A white bucket will be a little easier to see.

I did the iron test from the water connection that my auto fill is attached to (I couldn't fit the bucket in the auto fill area to get water out) I did the few splashes of liquid chlorine and it did not change the while bucket any color. After reading a bunch on this I see that Chlorox products seem to have a lot of issues. I did add about 4 bags of Chlorox pool salt Clorox Pool Salt - Walmart.com earlier this spring.

Could this be the cause of my problems? It says high purity and that is a very well known brand, but geeze I guess it was not an issue before spring time. My only other thought was something was corroded in the heater because I heated it a bunch in the spring.

I did the iron test from the water connection that my auto fill is attached to (I couldn't fit the bucket in the auto fill area to get water out) I did the few splashes of liquid chlorine and it did not change the while bucket any color. After reading a bunch on this I see that Chlorox products seem to have a lot of issues. I did add about 4 bags of Chlorox pool salt Clorox Pool Salt - Walmart.com earlier this spring.

Could this be the cause of my problems? It says high purity and that is a very well known brand, but geeze I guess it was not an issue before spring time. My only other thought was something was corroded in the heater because I heated it a bunch in the spring.

How old is pool? Can we see equipment pad?
Thanks

After reading a bunch on this I see that Chlorox products seem to have a lot of issues. I did add about 4 bags of Chlorox pool salt Clorox Pool Salt - Walmart.com earlier this spring.

Could this be the cause of my problems? It says high purity and that is a very well known brand, but geeze I guess it was not an issue before spring time.

Yup, the Clorox pool salt could be the source of your staining. I prefer Mortons Pool Salt for that reason.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.