Intex 10x30 How I keep it clean

Ostego

Jul 17, 2018
Chicago,il
I bought my Intex 10x30 pool on Memorial Day Sale at Menards for $45. I also bought a bottle of clarifier and a couple of bags (16 ounce) of shock x-tra that have buffer, clarifier and flocculant. Also purchased a package of replacement filters (2) and a spare 1.25 hose that comes with clips, it’s about 4ft long and a pool cover ($10 and worth it). And the cheapest test kit they had. I bought everything at Menards.

I separated the shock into snack bags of 2 tbl spoons each. You’ll get about 14 bags when done. My daily regimen is first using a broom or have the kids wear socks, sweep the bottom of the pool. Then create a whirlpool and wait for debris to collect to center. Attach the spare hose to the intake on the filter, be careful to have someone hold the one you remove that is attached to the pool while you do this or anchor it so it stays high enough not to drain water from the pool. I also used attachment from my house vacuum cleaner to make it longer. Plug in filter and wait for suction to begin, you may have to prime it a little. Then just vacuum the center. When done replace the original hose back to the filter and change the filter cartridge, you’ll see all the stuff floating on the top when you remove the lid. Hose off the filter you removed and set aside for the next day, I change it everyday and run the filter overnight. I also made a makeshift skimmer with an old badminton racquet and a pair of nylons.

After the kids are done swimming for the day I put in one of the 2 tbl spoon bags of shock and one ounce of clarifier. Add fresh water helps too. My pool is still crystal clear after almost 2 months. My plan is to throw it away at the end of the summer and buy a new one when the sale is on again. For $45 why bother trying to store it and hope there are no holes in it next summer! I will save the filter if it survives.

Welcome to the forum!

Only thing I would suggest is getting a two way drop test from Walmart or Home Depot to be sure you have Chlorine in the water to be sure it is sanitized and also to check pH so that the water does not irritate the eyes or skin of those using the pool.

Sounds like you have something that works.

Take care.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Glad you found something that appears to be working for your for now.
Of course it is not following much of anything that TFPC exists to teach.
I am sure some reading could make your maintenance even easier and cheaper.

We would not typically recommend the Shock X-tra that you are using due to all the unneeded additives.

Assuming it is Dichlor, using PoolMath, that 2 oz is adding 5.5ppm of FC to your pool (clean pool should only need 2-4ppm) and 5ppm of CYA (which determines the FC level you should maintain to have safe clean water, see the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]).
Do you add that every day?

This is how we would suggest you maintain a pool that size: Temporary/Seasonal Pool Guide

If you siphoned that gunk from the middle out on the ground you wouldn't have to clean the filter. Depends on water/ground situation. Replacing a bit of water every day or two also might help with the build up of CYA from your chlorine source. (as mentioned bleach/liquid chlorine is easier to deal with, chemically speaking)

When I started I used too much of everything and testing showed high ph and low chlorine. The ph was from Borax use which made it cloudy and lowered the chlorine so I started playing with the chlorine alone after using a little Muric Acid to stabilize the ph and finally got it clear again. That’s when I started using just the Shock and the Clarifier and the water stayed clear since then, about 3 weeks now. I test everyday and the levels are good. I also found chlorine tabs in the laundry section and occasionally pop one in the filter dispenser.

Thank you, I test everyday and all seems good. I dilute the shock before putting in the pool and do it every night before turning the pump on and I run it over night. I do the brushing and vacuuming in the morning. So far this seems to work, the kids do not complain of eye irritation or skin itching so I think I’m good with this regimen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.