Is this algae?

Aug 5, 2017
Pittsburgh PA
IMG_3381.jpg
I've been dealing with a green or cloudy pool for about 1 month now. I have bought the good test kit and my numbers are all normal as long as I keep putting liquid chlorine in, which I do every day (Been SLAMing for at least 3 weeks). I did floc it once and bought a diverter valve to vacuum to waste but every time I switch it from filter to waste, the suction pops off. Took the white filter out today and it is covered in this green jelly like substance. How do I know if this is dead algae? Is that why the chlorine isn't clearing it? So since vacuuming to waste isn't working I plan to let everything settle to the bottom with the pump off and siphon it out with a hose connected to the vacuum. I know it will take forever but, short of emptying the entire pool, it is my only option. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That is floc with algae. You should never floc a pool with a cartridge filter. You most likely will need a new cartridge very soon.

Are you following the SLAM Process process and do you have a proper test kit?

If you have a K2006C test kit follow SLAM Process process. Read the article. Your pool should not be green after the first day or less of a SLAM.

Thank you! That is the kit that I have. So an update...I did siphon off a good bit today. Pool is cloudy blue now instead of green. I checked free chlorine first and was concerned when it was only 18. My prior Cya needed a FC of 24. But this one was 35! Which needs a level of 14! Other test...PH 7.6. Hopefully I'm on the right track now!!!!! I appreciate the help!

New issue...if it even is an issue. CYA is less than 30. I can clearly see the dot when it's filled to the top. Is there a test kit recommended for smaller amounts of Cya? Or do I not worry about it because lower levels are better with algae? Thanks!

The TF100 can test to 20 ppm CYA. But we recommend a minimum of 30 ppm CYA as a minimum. If you had tested CYA in the water recently add 10 ppm worth of CYA via the sock method. After the powder is completely dissolved from the sock, wait 24 hours and retest your CYA. Repeat until you get 30 ppm CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.