New hot tub owner sanitizing questions using Diclor/Bleach method

Hi all, We purchased a used 3 yr old sundance denali spa through my wifes son with a capacity of 220gal. Did a de contamination after finding I had a high CD and couldn't keep chlorine in the spa. I followed a process which involved using ahhhsome bio-cleaner (Not a whole lot of gunk came out but some did) then drained and wiped down. Refilled balanced water to 80 TA and a PH of 7.6 dosed to 50ppm chlorine with Diclor. ran for 40 mins and drained again. Refilled and balanced CH to 130, TA to 90 and then I checked my PH it was 7.6. Dosed to 10 ppm Diclor ran it for 20 mins then covered it.

I made big mistake and ordered the poolmaster 5 way test kit before knowing of the Taylor kit. Don't stop reading :) The kit seems to be accurate for TA and Ph (at low FC, if FC is greater then 3ppm add 1 extra drop of solution 4). I say this because after balancing the water 4 times adding the amounts given from the pool calculator my goals were closely reached after retesting.

My problem is measuring FC which I find the kit about useless for besides detecting FC presence. When I put the recommended dosage of Diclor to obtain 10 ppm the kit didn't even reach the 5 ppm color. Obtaining a true FC is impossible.

So here is my solution to obtaining a CYA of around 30 using Diclor until I switch to bleach and please tell me if I'm on the wrong track of thinking. After 18 hrs I checked the FC and it was still maxed (<5ppm) on the kit. We used the spa off and on throughout the day and I checked the FC periodically, at the end of the night the kit read a ppm of 1 FC. I used the pool calculator and dosed to 8 ppm. 12 hrs later I checked the FC and it was barely measurable, if at all, I dosed to 10 ppm.
So far, I have dosed approx. 27ppm Diclor. From research I have learned that 10ppm Diclor=9ppm CYA so I will probably add another 10ppm tonight after use (giving me a total of 37ppm Diclor added) and I should have a proper CYA level of around 30? Basically I'm basing my CYA ppm on the weight of Diclor I add to my 220gal tub instead of measuring exact FC ppm. From the pool calculator .5oz Diclor will raise my FC ppm by 10. Am I doing this right?? :)

Does it seem right that after using the tub and having a FC of 1ppm then dosing to 8ppm, 12 hrs later my FC was almost gone? How long does FC take to break down from eating waste? I should also note my PH dropped to 6.8, after 40 mins of running the jets and adding the 10 ppm of Diclor the PH rose to 7.6. Is that normal?

I appreciate ALL responses and any guidance.

Does it seem right that after using the tub and having a FC of 1ppm then dosing to 8ppm, 12 hrs later my FC was almost gone?

sounds a bit high. but quite possible depending on how much people soaked in it. also, how hot the temp is.
my PH dropped to 6.8, after 40 mins of running the jets and adding the 10 ppm of Diclor the PH rose to 7.6. Is that normal?

yes. carbon dioxide left the water while the jets ran (like soda going flat), and co2 has acid in it. so ph rises. also chlorine make ph rise when 1st added, then falls back to starting place as it gets used up.
CYA so I will probably add another 10ppm tonight after use (giving me a total of 37ppm Diclor added) and I should have a proper CYA level of around 30?

you need to test for cya, start with every three weeks.
When I put the recommended dosage of Diclor to obtain 10 ppm the kit didn't even reach the 5 ppm color. Obtaining a true FC is impossible.

you need FC test kit that has powder and drop:
FAS/DPD Chlorine CC's test

cya test kit: CYA (Cyanuric Acid) Test

(edit to add) also remember: dichlor is acidic. It will cause your ph to fall as it gets used up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.