Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is your water too cool for a dip?

1. Back To Top    #1

When is your water too cool for a dip?

So, as we draw into the cooler time of year, I use my solar panels to generate some warm water for the pool. Living in sunny Texas that is easy to do. But, how low will you allow the temp to go and still get into your pool?
    10,000 gallon in-ground pool, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, Jandy Purelink Water Purification System, AquaLink RS Pool Digital Assistant, Jandy Stealth Series Pumps, Polaris 380, 3/4 hp booster pump, DE Filter, Lucayan Blue River Rok aggregate innerds

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When is your water too cool for a dip?

Quote Originally Posted by SeeGars
    So, as we draw into the cooler time of year, I use my solar panels to generate some warm water for the pool. Living in sunny Texas that is easy to do. But, how low will you allow the temp to go and still get into your pool?
    Don't they have the Polar Bear club down thar en Texas, SeeGars?

At the end of the season I won't get in a pool that's less than 80 degrees (& with the heater ON. churning out nice warm water at the returns.) I'm much braver in April/May; if it's sunny and the water's even close to 77 -- I jump in (and shiver ostentatiously.)

What happened to my youth? We would swim in bays, ponds, creeks, lakes, sloughs, ravines, culverts -- anywhere and everywhere -- at any time of year as long as there was no ice on the surface. Not no more.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

The way my son explained the phenomenon was that when your mature "boys" retreated far enough to double as tonsils it was no longer fun to play in cold water!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

ROFL Zea3 !!! I think our blood is THICKER when were younger Polyvue so we dont feel the cold ... either that or we werent smart enough to realize how cold it was and went in anyway!
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by TizMe
    I think our blood is THICKER when were younger Polyvue so we dont feel the cold ... either that or we werent smart enough to realize how cold it was and went in anyway!
    You betcha.

Our lips were bluer than your avatar but boy did we have fun! I think that's why a lot of us have pools (usually when we can afford it... in our 30's 40's 50's). The underlying motivation isn't to keep up with our affluent neighbors or stay cool during the summer - there's air conditioning for that. It's just to re-live our youth.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

6. Back To Top    #6

The lowest? 86 - and we're hoping to get back up to that in the next few days if the sun stays out. We'll toss the steps back in and have a dip
    32x16 buried Doughboy, 4' shallow - 7' deep
    Pentair Dynamo 1 hp, 2-speed - Pentair 150# SD40 w/zeolite (75#)
    One skimmer/two returns/Aquabot Turbo T2

7. Back To Top    #7

First swim of the season, 80 will just barely make it.

End of season, gotta' have at least 84
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Anything below 86 and I freeze. Until a few days ago we had rain for over a week and EXTREMELY unseasonable cold (60s-70s) when it is usually trying to hit 95-100). My pool went from high 80's and is now 72 and over 10' rain. No algae! Thank you TFP and BBB.

I, too, grew up swimming in anything that had even a few feet of water and all sorts of critters. The Kentucky River was cold year round especially when you were over a spring coming from bottom. I was always a little scared that they would reverse.

I do get chilled easily and even wear a wet suit, scuba diving, in tropics, even in 88F water, because of chilling, especially at depths.

The doggies don't seem to mind yet. This is their first year as they are puppies. We'll just see how tough they are as it gets colder.

Over the years we have had ice form on the pool even though it is not usual to have that much cold for enough length of time to form ice. That's usually when I lose a pipe or two somewhere to freezing.

I'm seriously thinking of putting in solar heating for next year.
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the replies!

I did jump in last Sat with the pool reading 78 and it was COLD!!!! BUt, I managed to stay in despite it being cloudy.

But.... I figure the season is mostly over....
    10,000 gallon in-ground pool, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, Jandy Purelink Water Purification System, AquaLink RS Pool Digital Assistant, Jandy Stealth Series Pumps, Polaris 380, 3/4 hp booster pump, DE Filter, Lucayan Blue River Rok aggregate innerds

10. Back To Top    #10

Me and the kids, 80. The wife, 86.. LOL
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

11. Back To Top    #11

It's over. Water is 72 degrees, 10 inches of rain, with yet another cool, cloudy, rainy, and definitely un-Texas like week ahead. And that is with the solar cover and solar panels. But without sun, they are not much help- that's why they're called "solar".
    Anyways, at least it is cool enough to walk down our country roads- so we switch to walking season. I miss the pool already.

We were in Fredericksburg and San Antonio last week. The hotel pool was cool, probably around 80degrees, but the sun was so blazing hot, it felt great after a day outside baking. I partook every afternoon.
    I guess it is kind of relative- how hot is the sun, how high is the wind, and how hard and long have you been working outside? I would probably jump in with the pool in the mid-upper 70's if the sun was beating down on me working in the yard, but also probably would not stop moving for long or be in there for too long.
    28 ft round Doughboy Sand Dollar II AGP, Aug 2008: 4 ft shallow, 6ft deep end: 24K gal approx Hayward Power-Flo Matrix
    1&1/2-HP 2-SPD Pump, Hayward 27-Inch Sand Filter with a little DE -(2) 4ftx20ft Solar Bear AGP Panels w/ Goldline auto-controller, 50ppm Borates And some day, maybe this year, a DECK!!!

12. Back To Top    #12

I jumped in to pull the winter cover over on our pool, and heater has been shut down for weeks now...temp was a frigid 65F!! I was in the water for about 4 minutes and that was LONG ENOUGH...I was numb when I got out.

Dan
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

13. Back To Top    #13

The season is over here too in Arizona, water temp is 74* - too cool for me!!
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

14. Back To Top    #14

What I find amusing as a southern Californian is that we will joyfully swim in the ocean here all summer long when it is typically 65-71 degrees. But yet when our backyard pools hit 70-75 they become too cold to swim in ! Maybe I need to make some waves
    18'x 52" Intex Ultra Frame AG pool
    7100 gallons
    1600 Intex sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    BBB method for four seasons
    Former 18' Easy Set owner

15. Back To Top    #15

the kids still had enough to play when it was only 68 I guess when they are young they dont have feelings so they dont realy know how cold it is
    intex 18X52 pool

intex 18X42 pool

both running intex 635 pumps and cartridge filters

16. Back To Top    #16

I've gotten soft in my old age - 80 is pushing it on the cool side. I plugged my return when the water was 75-ish, and thought I was going to have a heart attack from the shock when I jumped in.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

17. Back To Top    #17

I hate bathtub pools. At 84° I pump in 55° well water to bring it down. Ideal for me is 74°-78°. If I am working or playing on a warm day I am happy down to 68°. I jump into a pool to cool off--if it's too warm, you're still hot when you get out. My kids are fine with this, the women in my life think I'm nuts.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

18. Back To Top    #18

With a week of rain and cooler temps here in Northern Texas, water temp is down to 66.... brrrr....

Gonna have to be some really sunny days ahead to get that solar heater to bring it up some.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by SeeGars
    With a week of rain and cooler temps here in Northern Texas, water temp is down to 66.... brrrr....

Gonna have to be some really sunny days ahead to get that solar heater to bring it up some.

Wanted to say "howdy neighbor". My water temp yesterday was 68. This a.m. 67. Water coming out of tap is warmer than pool. How 'bout this weather? I've been in TX since '71 and can't remember anything like this year. I'm certainly glad my IG pool is way above the water table.

It got down below 50 last night and damp, to say the least. The winds are relatively calm, at least for now.

BTW.... Here in Cedar Hill, we have prediction for a few days (I think three) without rain and then it starts again. If you're close enough to the border won't you please hook a line over there and secure it well; I'm beginning to think Texas might float out to sea.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

20. Back To Top    #20

Too true Alice... Hopefully now many days ahead of sunshine!

I have moss growing around some of my downspouts. I've never seen that in Texas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast