1st Pool - Contract Signed - Double Check (2nd Guessing Decisions) :)

Aliece

Jun 27, 2018
Forney, tx
Hi! We just signed the contract on our first ever pool. We have never owned one, so it's all new. We are in Kaufman County. It's going to be a 35 x20 in ground salt water with a 3.5 - 4 - 5 ft depth. We have 4 littles and I am agonizing over the decking material. We have an existing patio area that was not done properly that needs to be overlaid with whatever material we choose to make it look right. Right now we have chosen FloDeck - they are saying this should be relatively cool, non-slippery and maintenance free - but it sure is adding to the bill to the tune of about 10K for 1200 SqFt. Any other suggestions? Also, we are having 2 1.2 ton waterfalls installed - one bubbler on the tanning ledge and then I wanted to add a couple of deck cannons. The designer isn't sure the pump can handle all of that without a booster 0 but should I be able to turn some features off while others are on? Glad to be here! Super anxious to get it started and finished!

The color was the last design at the builder (I don't think we are really supposed to have it) then we decided we didn't like the straight lines out on the decking and wanted to move it to the right about 3 feet, so I drew up a new one. Anyway - We are putting in a salt system - so I didn't realize there was more to think about. All advice is welcome. We truly don't know what we don't know. :confused:

fullsizeoutput_483e.jpg IMG_4285.jpg

Looks great!

Is that turf grass going to the edge of the pool in those two places? Seems like it would make maintaining the lawn difficult in those locations.

I’m not sure what geographic location you are in but even where I’m at in Michigan, the color of the deck makes a huge difference. We went with a lighter color paver in the field with dark browns in the border and step and you can really feel the difference.

That's what stood out to me too- those spots where the grass comes right up on to the coping will encourage grass clippings and debris in to the pool, and you would never want any grass treatments (fertilizer, etc) to ever hit the water (eeegads!).

Other wise you've got a very nice design there and I applaud your large deck area on the other side of the pool. Great for furniture and people to hang....
Maddie :flower:

I am in to watch and help on this one!!

Love the design so far. I do worry about the grass in those two areas.

Water cannons....costly and can be finicky. They are more of a "party trick" than any thing else. The water fall and bubbler will be more than enough to make the water sound and look pretty!

Do you have your equipment list yet?

Kim:kim:

Hi! We just signed the contract on our first ever pool. We have never owned one, so it's all new. We are in Kaufman County. It's going to be a 35 x20 in ground salt water with a 3.5 - 4 - 5 ft depth. We have 4 littles and I am agonizing over the decking material. We have an existing patio area that was not done properly that needs to be overlaid with whatever material we choose to make it look right. Right now we have chosen FloDeck - they are saying this should be relatively cool, non-slippery and maintenance free - but it sure is adding to the bill to the tune of about 10K for 1200 SqFt. Any other suggestions? Also, we are having 2 1.2 ton waterfalls installed - one bubbler on the tanning ledge and then I wanted to add a couple of deck cannons. The designer isn't sure the pump can handle all of that without a booster 0 but should I be able to turn some features off while others are on? Glad to be here! Super anxious to get it started and finished!

For "decking" how about grass? I have it around >75% of my pool and it's great. Doesn't get hot and it great to walk on and it's super cheap compared to other options. Maybe just hard patio up to and around the sun shelf (a path from the existing patio to a 4' wrap around the sun shelf). Is the patio that needs the overlay 1,200 sq feet? or is that total deck space planed?

That is a good point on the grass - I guess we could either extend the beds around to those areas - or do a small pad of the flagstone in each of those areas. I don’t have an equiptment list yet, hopefully today, and I hope its right. I keep getting worried we are not doing this right and we should know more about what we are doing.:(

Ugghhhh! This has already been so frustrating. We were expecting the packets on July 2nd, we just got them Tuesday....drawn per the ORIGINAL discussion, not even including the revisions I asked for. Then this morning I got the revised drawing which of course will require discussion. Made an appointment for tomorrow to go in, discuss and choose materials. This afternoon, I have a surprise visit from the construction manager to look at the site and make sure there are no roadblocks. THIS is when I find out that the decking we discussed is a topping for concrete similar to (but not) Kool Deck, not a solid material like described AND it will not correct the puddling issue on the existing patio as we were assured it would. The only way to correct that will be to tear out and repour the existing. I feel like this will increase the quote by AT LEAST 5k if not more. Will this be enough to get us out of the contract with these people and get our $500 down payment back - or would we be able to walk away and leave our $500 if needed? We already had a much lower quote for someone to tear out and repour for a very similar pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.