Leonardtown, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hi! Has anyone had gray spots/dots on their plaster pool walls, which turned out to be something other than black algae? Like metal? Over time, I get a few more and more... No scrapable material, and they don't fade with chlorine tablets. They disappear with vitamin c tablets, and I can use a pumice stone very lightly to remove/ erase them. Any ideas? I don't want to treat them and mess up my chemistry without knowing for sure. Thanks in advance!

FC: 3.27
TC: 3.39
CC: .12
PH: 7.5
TA: 90
CH: 240
CYA: 40-50

i'm using a Taylor K-2006 to test. When I fill I'm using city water, no well. Seems like I'm draining more than filling with all the rain these days, and no copper algaecides. I'll let you know what I find out from the pool store test tomorrow. Thanks!

The pool store test results show iron is .1 and copper 0. I had them test my house water and it showed 0 for iron and copper. To try and get rid of the gray spots on the wall, should I try proteam metal magic? My pool chemistry is perfect, my pool water is clear, and I don't want to mess that up. The grey dots are creating a dingy look to the plaster and I need to clean that up. Thanks in advance for any help...

So I've read through your other threads about this issue, and I think the consensus is metal, most likely iron or copper, and I know that the pool store has tested and shown very little if anything. Jack's has a metal stain id kit I believe. Taylor sells Iron and Copper test kits, and I've used them and they are easy to use. You could try purchasing those. The thing is if the metals are depositing in the plaster, they won't show up well on tests.

Your other option is the AA treatment which is a PITA and I'm not sure that's something that will be worthwhile, because even if it does work, you're looking at sequesterants going forward. Long term, monthly maintenance treatments.

As for the supply water, they trucked it in initially, from where? Are you confident that water was metal free? And since then you've been topping off or draining from rain, which has diluted the copper that was added the first time the pool company gave you crappy advice.

Still since you are getting reaction from a vitamin c tablet, that means metals.

Now, I don't know where Leonardtown is, but "city water" in many places can be just a municipal well. For example, here in my town our water comes from Lake Michigan, but the town just west of me is a municipal well and the water is gawd aweful.

I would go for trying the ProTeam metal magic and see if it works, and it may be something you'll use maintenance dosing for.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.