Just got test kit...feeling overwhelmed

Jun 6, 2018
Parkersburg, WV
Well I just got my test kit (K-2006C) today and tonight was reading the instruction and I am overwhelmed with where to even begin....I don't feel like the instruction book gives you enough detail on how to do the tests. Maybe I'll take another look at it in the morning but I don't know if I'll understand it any better then either lol :(

Re: Just got test kit...feeling overwhelmed

I know the feeling. I got my test kit a couple weeks ago. I just followed the steps on the inside of lid and now after doing it ~10 times I feel pretty comfortable with my results. My biggest issue with it at this point is determining the appropriate chemical amounts to add. Keep working at it and I bet you’ll feel better in no time.

I had trouble using the kit right next to the pool because it is almost always windy there. My hands were always wet and I always wondered if that would compromise the tests. So I needed a towel. Then I decided to bring some pool water into the garage and do all my tests there now on a table. Dump all the used up liquid into the utility sink..

Pool service folks seem to dump the solutions back into the pool or on the grass. I brought a bucket last time and asked them to dump the used up liquid into it.

YOU GOT THIS!

The videos didn't exist when I bought my first kit, but they are awesome.

These pages really helped me:
https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/213-extended-test-kit-directions

- - - Updated - - -

eww - no dump back in pool

store test kits indoors, ideally in a cool dark place, bonus points if air conditioned.

I fill a bottle with pool water, then do tests inside, only going back outside with my CYA solution to perform the dot part of the test with full sunlight at my back.

- - - Updated - - -

oh - best to handle the powder over something - it can be a real mess if spilled.

YOU GOT THIS!

The videos didn't exist when I bought my first kit, but they are awesome.

These pages really helped me:
https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/213-extended-test-kit-directions

- - - Updated - - -

eww - no dump back in pool

store test kits indoors, ideally in a cool dark place, bonus points if air conditioned.

I fill a bottle with pool water, then do tests inside, only going back outside with my CYA solution to perform the dot part of the test with full sunlight at my back.

- - - Updated - - -

oh - best to handle the powder over something - it can be a real mess if spilled.

In what order should you test things. Or does it matter?

If you are doing all the tests, start by mixing your pool water/R0013 for the CYA test. Then let it sit while you do the other tests.
Follow that with the FC test immediately followed by the CC, if necessary.

Then I do the pH test, Total Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness in that order.

Then you go outside to do the CYA test.

You do not need to do all those tests daily or even weekly.

See Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

You'll need to be confident that you're doing the tests correctly before you can balance your water. When I first got the k-2006 test kit I repeated tests that I wasn't sure of and if I could get the same result twice I felt good about it. After a while you'll learn to trust the results first time.

Mike.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hello Tamitha...

Are you still fighting a cloudy pool as of today? I read your other posts about this and was wondering if you've completed the SLAM process or just checking in on your first test results.

Congratulations on your first test. Just a few thoughts:

Your TA is probably higher, it tends to turn clearish before turning red. You can try using a 10 ml sample and multiply the drops by 25 to get a better idea.

You can also regularly use a 10 ml sample with the FC/CC test to save on reagents. Each drop will be 0.5 ppm in this case.

Finally, the CYA test. If the dot disappeared before it reached the 100 line then the CYA is well over 100. At that level there really is no way around it, you're going to have to drain some water and get that level down.

Hello Tamitha...

Are you still fighting a cloudy pool as of today? I read your other posts about this and was wondering if you've completed the SLAM process or just checking in on your first test results.

Right now it's not cloudy. I can see the bottom and see some debris on the bottom. Same as last week and when I got in to vacuum it it got cloudy again so this time I'm going to try to vacuum it without getting in the pool and see if that helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Your TA is probably higher, it tends to turn clearish before turning red. You can try using a 10 ml sample and multiply the drops by 25 to get a better idea.

You can also regularly use a 10 ml sample with the FC/CC test to save on reagents. Each drop will be 0.5 ppm in this case.

Finally, the CYA test. If the dot disappeared before it reached the 100 line then the CYA is well over 100. At that level there really is no way around it, you're going to have to drain some water and get that level down.

Okay I'll try to 10ml test after bit. And when you say drain the pool to get rid of that do you just mean drain it or do you mean drain and replace with new water.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Tamitha...

Also no i haven't done the SLAM part yet. Was just doing first test to see where I stood lol

I tried testing the FC and CC with the 10 ml sample and not sure if it's any better. Got 3 and 1.5.

Been fighting cloudy water for awhile. Finally got so clear I could see to the bottom and everything on the bottom. Decided to vacuum it and of course after doing that it's all cloudy again.

First test results this morning with K-2006C test kit were as follows:

FC - with 25ml sample 2.8 with 10ml sample 3
CC - with 25ml sample .8 with 10ml sample 1.5
PH - 7.8
TA - 240 or more...didn't turn pink it turned clear after 24 drops
CH - 180
CYA - 100 maybe a little more

I don't have the best eye sight so that might be part of my problem
too. Also just got test kit so I wanted to check numbers but haven't did the SLAM process yet so should I do that next or what?

If I were making a guess, I would think you haven't been maintaining FC near high enough. With your CYA that high, FC should be at least 8 with a target of 11-13. Sounds like you have algae and the vacuum is stirring it up.

I was just in your shoes yesterday. Pool looked fairly clear. Vacuumed and after a few minutes of vacuuming it was a cloudy mess. I was bummed. But I followed the slam process...went through about 20 jugs of bleach, vacuumed and brushed again with very little cloudiness. After a few hours all the dead settled at the bottom and the pool is crystal clear. Going to vacuum again tomorrow. I promise you if you just power through and think about the SLAM 24:7 for a couple days you won’t be sorry. Or else it will be a defeating and drawn out process. But listen to the posts above from the vets. Lower that CYA if that’s a good option for ya (drain water and replace with new) because Pool Math will show it’s going to take less bleach to SLAM and maintain. You got this! Buckle down and you’ll be relaxing pool side for the 4th!

Backwashing is not a good way to drain water. One, you will lose suction once you go below your suction point in your pool.

Best with an above ground pool is to use a siphon. Put a hose in the pool. Dunk the open end into the pool and put your hand over it. Remove it quickly and lower it to the ground. The water will come running out on its own. The other way is to purchase a small sub pump from Harbor Freight, Home Depot, Walmart, etc.

Does your house have a sewer cleanout you can get to? That is the best place to put the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.