Correct dosage of chlorine

Jun 22, 2018
Toronto, ON
Going to shock my swamp pool
1. Dump some water and add new to bring CYI level to 40(recently I trying to shock it with 25 3" tablets and think it will be high)
2. Check Ph and correct it.
3. Add liquid chlorine to 20ppm level
I going to use this chlorine

According to pool calculator

to reach 20ppm I need to add 1620 ml of 12% bleach per 10000 liters pool (207 fl oz per 10000 gal)
But description for chlorine says Treatment dosage for pools with visible Algae - 3L per 10,000L
For my pool I need 21 liters per calculator or 39 liters according do description.
Pool 130000liters(35kgal)
I confused, why?

39 liters of 12% chlorine = 4.68 pure / 130000 liters = 36 ppm

Daily maintenance (or as needed) dosage for pools with no visible Algae - 250ml per 10,000L
Again, this looks like it will raise chlorine by 3ppm
Looks like I need 100 liters(25 gallons) per month for daily maintenance?

Alex, welcome to TFP :wave:

Are you reading TFP's SLAM directions? --> SLAM Process

Before you do anything, do you have one of the recommended kits which will test your chlorine that high?

Please refer to TFP's PoolMath for an accurate dosing calculator. Pool calculator is not our app and has been not been kept up to date to our knowledge. You can find PoolMath up at the top of the page.

Please provide us with a signature line detailing your pool's finish, equipment, size, how you normally chlorinate and which test kit you are using.

We need to know:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Thanks for answering my questions so that I can give you the best advice for your own pool.

Maddie :flower:

Hi, I am noob, just rented a house with pool, Dont even know my pool size, looks like it 20x40ft, 3 ft deep at shallow end and 10ft at deep end
One guy told me its 130000 liters(35000 gal).

I don't have a test kit yes, and cheap pool supply store not close to my town.
I just want to figure, how many chlorine I need to buy for first time.

How many 12% chlorine I need to shock 10000 gal pool with visible algae?
1.6 gal, right?
Why description for chlorine says 3?
Thank you.

pool.jpg

Alex, to cure algae is not a one time addition of x amount of chlorine. It is an ongoing process which continues until the algae is gone, the water is entirely clear and the test results show minimal to no chlorine loss overnight.

And most importantly- the amount of chlorine you add is based on how much stabilizer (CYA) is in the pool. So I can't tell you how much without knowing that.

That's why you need to find the Taylor K-2006C test kit there in Canada. Amazon perhaps?

I can tell you that for a 35k gallon pool, 73 ounces of 6% liquid chlorine should raise the FC by 1ppm.

I found it in description for 20 liters of chlorine.
Link for local store was deleted from my first post by moderator. Here's full description

* The most economical of all Shock treatments
* Controls Bacteria and Algae in swimming pool waters
* Can be poured directly into pool
* 12% available chlorine
* Initial treatment dosage for pools with no visible Algae - 1L per 10,000L
* Daily maintenance (or as needed) dosage for pools with no visible Algae - 250ml per 10,000L
* Treatment dosage for pools with visible Algae - 3L per 10,000L
* For best results superchlorinate at dusk.

Please note that those are the product's directions, not ours.

And that takes no consideration of your CYA level which our SLAM procedure does. SLAM Process

Please obtain a K-2006C test kit from Amazon and run your own tests to know how to proceed. That's the only way I know how to help you.

So I used 60 liters of 12% chlorine for my 130000 liters pool. In 3 days.

Store test shows today
FC 23.01
TC 23.01
CC 0
pH 8.2
Hardness 185
Alk(with stab correct)
CYA 60(was 100, very hard to dump my pool below skimmer line.
Copper, iron, phosphate 0

Water little cloudy and lots of brown dust on botton. Cleaned it, cleaned walls(green, looks like alive algae)

add 5 lbs ph decreaser, adding fresh water, add 5 liters chlorine.
Today is very hot sunny day.
So, I can expect CYA 50 and good oh now.

Is CC is zero or it can be free store test error? (OMNI)
I have only OTO test.
It's orange.
All this 3 days I dilute 1 part of pool water with 5 parts of fresh water, and TOO test was yellow and looks like 5ppm.

So.. is my SLAM finished?
I don't have good test kit yet.
Water cloudy, very cloudy, but not green. Filter working 24/7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yesterday checked water in another store. Evening test was
FC 21
CC 0.0
CYA 51

CC is zero again.
May be store machine can't test CC if FC too high?

I can't make overnight test
Today I found little bit dead algae on bottom.

On shallow end water is Crystal clear. On deep end little bit cloudy. But I can see pine cone on 10ft deep.

And my pool always full of garbage, 3 large pine near it and branches over pool. Cones, nails, seeds....

Sorry, but we really can't be much help to you based upon pool store testing. They just aren't accurate enough for us to make any valid suggestions. It's like asking your mechanic to diagnose your car because it's making "a funny noise".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.