High Pressure in Filter

Sep 6, 2016
Edgartown,MA
I have a Hayward filter cartridge (4 filters inside) which is a little over a year old. Pressure when new was in 20-22 PSI range. It went up to 30 PSI and I just cleaned the 4 cartridges. It's still reading 29 so I wondering what else I need to do.

Pool is 22,000 in-ground with pump about 30' from pool. FC is 5PPM and Ph is 7.5. No algae and water is super clear.

Thanks

The pressure increase would seem to be from one of two things:
1 - Restriction from within the filter (i.e. algae) or beyond (something clogging the line(s)
2 - A bad pressure gauge; does it fall to zero when turned off?

While water can appear clear, it can still have excessive organics in it, they just haven't turned color yet. So you might want to give us some water test results just to be sure. At least to rule-out chemistry since often times a filter's PSI gauge spikes when it's trapping more organics.

The pressure increase would seem to be from one of two things:
1 - Restriction from within the filter (i.e. algae) or beyond (something clogging the line(s)
2 - A bad pressure gauge; does it fall to zero when turned off?

While water can appear clear, it can still have excessive organics in it, they just haven't turned color yet. So you might want to give us some water test results just to be sure. At least to rule-out chemistry since often times a filter's PSI gauge spikes when it's trapping more organics.

Is it possible to run the filter without one or more cartridges installed to verify whether the issue is the heater/lines/etc?

Also, I read something bout needing to degrease the filters - any suggestions on that? I rinsed them and they were visibly dirty.

Is it possible to run the filter without one or more cartridges installed to verify whether the issue is the heater/lines/etc?
Honestly, I'm not sure about that one if it would work or be a problem. Perhaps it would be better if you could bypass the heater if you had that capability.
Also, I read something bout needing to degrease the filters - any suggestions on that? I rinsed them and they were visibly dirty.
That can be tricky. Yes, cartridges can be soaked in TSP for a few hours or overnight which might help. Some folks will even try an acid bath of about 4:1 ratio with water afterwards, but if not done properly it can mess up the filters. Usually a good pressure rinse is enough unless they got coated with some oils or pool store solutions at which point a good TSP soaking might help. But don't rule-out the water either. You'd be surprised.

Honestly, I'm not sure about that one if it would work or be a problem. Perhaps it would be better if you could bypass the heater if you had that capability.
That can be tricky. Yes, cartridges can be soaked in TSP for a few hours or overnight which might help. Some folks will even try an acid bath of about 4:1 ratio with water afterwards, but if not done properly it can mess up the filters. Usually a good pressure rinse is enough unless they got coated with some oils or pool store solutions at which point a good TSP soaking might help. But don't rule-out the water either. You'd be surprised.

What's TSP?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.