Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Plaster ? + Test kit results

1. Back To Top    #1

New Plaster ? + Test kit results

Plaster was applied 1 week ago. Been following the start up procedure - almost. I had very high acid demand for only 3-4 days until I brought my CYA and TA up a bit. Hardly any plaster dust seen. Cleaned the filter every day for the first 3-4 days and saw very little plaster dust, but odd little plaster balls that looked like snow flakes. Could have been plastic from the pvc pipes as plumber was not careful to remove bits from pipe.

My PB gave me a Taylor K-2005 with the extra powder and liquid for FAS-DPD testing. The bottles fit perfectly in the 2005 kit, BTW.

Ch = 13 (PB added too much, but I did have a bit of algea the second day)
    CYA = 50 (will bring this up to 70 this weekend)
    TA = 40 (will bring up to 80 this weekend)
    CH = 180
    PH = 7.6 (not rising as much as I expected)
    Salt = 0 (can add salt in 3 more weeks)

My question: Should I raise the CH now, or will it naturally increase as the plaster finishes curing?
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Plaster ? + Test kit results

Quote Originally Posted by lborne
    My question: Should I raise the CH now, or will it naturally increase as the plaster finishes curing?
    I presume that your PB added liquid chlorine and not Cal-Hypo or something else to get to 13 ppm. (Be sure your SWG is either OFF or set to 0% (same thing); no reason to get it working until salt has been added.) I can't think of any reason to delay adjustment of Calcium Hardness to target level -- it's almost there now. Unless you're using a chlorine compound that includes calcium, why not add some calcium chloride to push it past 200ppm? I recall that I needed to add calcium quite a bit the first year of operation, but almost none since. Hope that helps.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

Actually I wouldn't recommend that you add any.... the CH can rise on it's own with new plaster and you are almost at the low end of the range anyway.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Just keep an eye on the CH for a while, if after say a month or two it's not budging then you'd want to add a little bit. It's like the roach motel; calcium goes it but it doesn't come out. Don't want to overdo it.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

5. Back To Top    #5

I saw this at Pool School:
    pool-school/pool_plaster_start-up

And I read this about brushes:

What are the differences between the Nylon, Nylon/Wire, & all-Wire brushes?
    Nylon is for vinyl, fiberglass, tile, and plaster that is less than one year. (Plaster includes any exposed aggregate and marcite finish, btw!)
    Combo brushes are for older plaster.
    All stainless are for algae (very stubborn green algae and also the ONLY brush for black algae.)
    Newer plaster is really too soft for anything other than a nylon brush.
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B
    What are the differences between the Nylon, Nylon/Wire, & all-Wire brushes?
    Since startup I've been using the same cheap nylon brush delivered with my pool opening kit, with good result. I'm not at all sure that brandishing a 30" wide diamond-tipped carbide Monster brush (a bit exaggerated) is going to scare away any autotrophic organism (like algae) that is present, has available food, a desire to grow, a warm environment and no chlorine in sight.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009