Should I add initial CYA after shock treatment?

Aug 4, 2015
Boston, MA
I am shocking the pool this evening trying to balance out the pool. In the morning the shock will have been running in the pool approx. 10-12 hours. Is that a good time to add CYA to a sock and let that dissolve at that time or should I wait another day until the shock level goes down further?

I had a bad problem with algae a few years back I get a lot of organic matter from trees in my pool on occasion. Yes I know the trees need to come out at some point it is a big job. My total CC was 0.26 with a FC of 1.2 so wanting to make sure the water is in good shape then going to put in CYA and let the SWG take it from there. Salt water pools still need to be shocked on occasion I believe to prevent algae in my opinion.

Where are you getting your test results from?

If you have a SWG get your CYA up to 70 - 80 and FC up to 5 - 6. See Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

SW pools need to keep FC within target levels and no shocking will be needed to prevent algae.

FC of 1.2 makes algea possible until your SWG gets enough FC which could take days. Better to use PoolMath and add liquid CL to get FC up to 6 quickly and see if your SWG maintains it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.