fiberglass pool crack

al27

Sep 11, 2017
TN
There is a 10 inch crack along the wall of my fiberglass pool near the seat in the deep end. This crack was discovered last September by American Leak Detection when my pool was leaking. It was temporarily patched with some butyl tape and epoxy, and it doesn’t appear to be leaking currently. I’d like to get this permanently fixed though since I’m worried the pool could start leaking again in the future. I’ve called all around town and none of the local pool companies do repairs on fiberglass pools. A fiberglass tub company said they could fix it with some fiberglass resin but my pool would have to be partially drained, and water can’t be put back into the pool for 24 hours afterwards. This really worries me because I’ve read that the walls and floors can crack if they are left partially empty for too long. It doesn’t look like I have a hydrostatic valve or a sump pit to prevent this from happening. Does anyone know if there is a product available to fix cracks in fiberglass pools under water or that requires a very short cure time so water can be put back in that same day? Is there anything that can be done to decrease the chance that my pool suffers any damage from being partially empty for 24 hours while the fiberglass resin dries? It looks like it will have to be lowered about a foot under the return in the deep end which is a lot lower than it is drained during the winter when we close it.

The fiberglass tub company probably is your best option. They have the materials and know-how to fix fiberglass. As with draining any fiberglass pool, you must brace the walls at the top of the pool to ensure that the shell is mechanically protected from collapse. The fiberglass pool manufacturer should have the appropriate details for your pool shell or any pool builder that installs fiberglass pools should know how to brace them. A hydrostatic valve is only necessary if your water table is high enough to reach the pool shell. If you do have a high water table, then the original installer should have put a hydrostatic valve in where the main drain is or created a sump/dry well if no MD is present.

Can you contact the original pool builder? Do you know who manufactured the FG pool shell?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.