Owner Builder - Things to look out for.

Oct 29, 2016
Henderson
SO before I started my build there was no real place on this board that had a consolidated list of "Things to watch out for" or "Think about doing this".. Now this thread should be a living document and everyone should be able to add their thoughts on here. BUT I don’t control that… So if the mods what to make it a sticky then it's up to them..

To help people searching for answers PLEASE keep your conversations about this topic off of this thread unless it short and constructive.

So without further ado, here's my list..

Excavation:

• When the excavation is ongoing, make sure that the guy doing the work makes clean cuts on the dirt. Make sure that you have dimension for every thing in your pool. The more that you have the better you can control what goes on in your pool.
    • The more material they remove then more concrete you will need if they take more because it's easier for them. Trust me it's more expensive for conc to be put in than a guy removing dirt..
  • Make sure that they batter boards that are set by the excavator, they are set correctly and at the same pool elevation.

Plumbing:

• On the pool design for plumbing, make sure that you have enough returns so your pool does not have a dead spot(s). A "dead spot" means that not all floating material will be pushed to the skimmer. If you have a large pool then you WILL need more returns to get the results that you want.
  • In-floor cleaners - IF you don’t have allot of leaves or vegetation getting into your pool then you might not need to spend the money. I live in the desert and don't have much debris in my pool so I didn't spend the money.
    • Dust/Dirt blown into the pool my creepy crawler takes care of it.
  • Pool Fittings - Make sure that you do your homework on the fittings and color that want to be used in your pool by the plaster people.
    • They will put in the easiest and cheapest for them to use. So if you want something different then buy them and have them use them.
  • Pool Pumps - Be sure that you have enough pump power to do what you want. If you going to spend the money then get the best pumps available.
  • Plumbing layout at equipment - Here again the plumber will do the best job he can but it will be the easiest for him to do it. SO read what you can and understand the Return and Suction side of the equipment and have them put the piping where you want it.
    • So if you don’t have allot of room have them explain how and why and then you direct to what and how you want it. (there may be a cost included if you go crazy)
  • When the plumber is done make sure that they cap off every end. Yes most plumbers do but some may forget at the end of the day.
    • You do this to make sure that no rocks and debris is gets into the piping and you spend hours flushing your system….
Electrical:

• So when they plumb for the your lights, make sure that they leave the end capped and at least 6” past where the gunite will be.
    • That way when they set your plaster around the light there is no major elevation differences and the plaster guys don’t have to Make it work… Plus it looks better.
  • Make sure that they have the water bond connected before they leave. I say this because it was not done on my pool.
  • If you have Low-Voltage lights (Glow Brights) then you will need to have low voltage transformers for each light so they can be put on their own circuit and you can change colors or turn on/off.
Pool Color:

• THIS IS IMPORTANT – Pick your colors for the Tile and Plaster (or Pebble) and coping. Order the materials as soon as you can. Some things take time to make or get shipped. That way you can schedule tile work and coping work after gunite and you can keep your pool on schedule.
Gunite:

• This is where you have very little control about how it’s finished. The crews do a pretty good job.
  • My only advice is to have them or make sure that the top of bond beam is 12” wide and is level. That way the there is no issues with setting the coping (if it’s not conc coping).
    • Sometimes they just do a less than perfect job and the top of beam has a slope or it’s fatter than needed. If you going to use pavers then the paver guys will have to cut part of the conc out to get the pavers to set correctly.
  • Make sure that the Rebar, Wire or anything metal is not close to surface of the gunite. WHY? That way you don’t have any rust bleed thru the plaster or tile….
Tile:

• If you going to have a raised spa then have the tile setters waterproof the areas where any tile will be. That way water will not get behind the tile and create a point that calcium will build up and finally make the tile to either crack or come off.
Plaster: Again this is not something you can control but the crews do really do a good job for the most part.

• The only thing you can control is the finish around the edges and if you have umbrella sleeves going in, make sure to have them installed and check to make sure that the sleeve is level and the umbrella will be straight when placed into the sleeve.
Start-up:

• Read, Read, and Read about getting water balanced or Hire someone to do it…

That’s it. It’ s all I got.

Thanks for playing.

Reactions: RobertFlagg
OK, I'll bite. There will be a point in your project when you have a bunch of open trenches. Do not hesitate to throw direct-burial-rated low voltage wires in them. My trenches now have irrigation cables, Ethernet cables, and a leadin coax for my ham antenna.

Reactions: Chopjaw
OK, I'll bite. There will be a point in your project when you have a bunch of open trenches. Do not hesitate to throw direct-burial-rated low voltage wires in them. My trenches now have irrigation cables, Ethernet cables, and a leadin coax for my ham antenna.

Good Point! I even went as far as going to Lowes and getting that yellow and black warning tape and putting that on top of the plumbing in the trench so anytime someone was digging they would see it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.