SLAM'ing

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I'm not sure if I have mustard or reg algae...it's mainly on walls in areas and along the tile line.

I plan on following the SLAM rules and will consult the CYA/FC chart. Will get pH at 7.2-7.3 before I start.

Ques's:

It says to run pump 7x24 first day..I have a VSP, what RPM's should it be run?

Also have another pump for scuppers: should I run that pump to periodically to circulate SLAM rated FC's? Also, should I run Spa lines too? this will take away from pool? Spa/Spillover and pool are connected so it's all circulating.

Finally, it's real overcast w no sun...will I get an accurate CYA test? Thoughts w no sun?

Thank you, tstex

Update on tests as of 10am CST

FC = 6
CC - there might have been a very, very slight color change to the lightest tint of pink, but it was not distinguished by any menas
TC= 6
CH= 225
TA = 60
CYA=45
pH=7.6

Based on CL/CYA Chart, I fall btw 40 CYA = 16 and 50 = 20, so an 18 is the FC SLAM..would going t0 20FC work?

I will first lower my pH to 7.2, then do the slam...Any help would be appreciated...thanks

Re: SLAM'ing

Easy one first: you can run low speed to keep things circulating. Save high speed for vacuuming.

Yes, run all the accessories to get the highly chlorinated water everywhere.

Round CYA up to 50 and SLAM at 20 FC. No sun means the chlorine will last longer!

Brush brush brush to ensure you've gotten past the protective biofilm. Once you pass all three tests to end the SLAM, remember to take it up to Mustard Algae level for 25 hours, since you suspect it.

Thanks Richard...thought I would take a pic to show you what I am dealing with...the water is crystal clear

In pic one, it's along the tile and right below on the bench

In pic 2, again along the tile line and on the bottom in one small patch..it's 3.5 ft deep there

Pls let me know what you think? thank you

Attachments

• algae1.jpg
    algae1.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 60
  • algae2.jpg
    algae2.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 59

If that's the shady side and if it brushes off, it's Mustard Algae.

A tip: get a pool noodle and a scrub brush and get in. Sit on the noodle. It will help keep you at a comfortable work height and you can just work your way down the wall scrubbing the tile and grout with the brush. Don't neglect the skimmer throat! It's much easier on the back than a long pole and pool brush from above.

Thanks Richard, it does brush off and is predominantly in some shady areas

I'll brush entire pool and also get inside skimmer w pool brush removed from pole- I'll do daily - be glad to get rid of this stuff

Richard,

W the pH real low now, it seems my CSI is at the real close range of corrosion. Should I add some CA and/or Baking Soda before I slam? here's my pool math and numbers to add for FC...I'm at a 7.2pH,TA of 60 and CH of 225...pls advise, thank you

WOW - I noted on the pool math for mustard algae I need to go to 29 FC ! Will this eat up my heat exchanger?

Attachments

• poolmath.jpg
    poolmath.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 50

Richard,

W the pH real low now, it seems my CSI is at the real close range of corrosion. Should I add some CA and/or Baking Soda before I slam? here's my pool math and numbers to add for FC...I'm at a 7.2pH,TA of 60 and CH of 225...pls advise, thank you
I wouldn't bother. pH is going to rise over time and by the time the SLAM is done and the FC has come down to where you can retest, pH will likely be back up to where it is now. Plus you might end up adding water to replace evaporative losses, and that will also raise things.

FOund out I have mustard algae.

Per pool math, I need to bring FC up to 29 !!! That's 489 oz or 4 gal of 8,25% bleach..my CYA is 45-50. Just want to know what will happen to my heat exchanger or anything else w a FC of almost 30? My pH is now 7.2 per pool math to do a SLAM which would have been 20 FC, but w Mustard Algae is says to go to 29 FC

Thanks and pls advise,
tstex

I wouldn't bother. pH is going to rise over time and by the time the SLAM is done and the FC has come down to where you can retest, pH will likely be back up to where it is now. Plus you might end up adding water to replace evaporative losses, and that will also raise things.

Right now we are getting rain from tropical depression in gulf, so evaporation is not an issue but aeration will reduce pH. W mustard Algae, it says to go to 29 FC..will that hurt my heat exchanger? That 484oz or 4 gals of 8.25%. Wow !!! thanks again Richard

Re:  SLAM'ing

Right now we are getting rain from tropical depression in gulf, so evaporation is not an issue but aeration will reduce pH. W mustard Algae, it says to go to 29 FC..will that hurt my heat exchanger? That 484oz or 4 gals of 8.25%. Wow !!! thanks again Richard
Remember, Mustard Algae level only comes after a regular SLAM is done. You don't run it at that superhoigh level for days and days. Get it clear, pass the OCLT and CC tests, then proceed to Mustard Level. No, it won't hurt the heat exchanger.

And rainfall will likely only aerate and raise pH which makes etching of the heat exchanger even less likely.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Richard.

Just added 4 121oz bottles of 8.25% bleach and really brushed it hard...running the pump and turned on the scupper pump too.

When brushing in one place, looked like green plaster dust...really hit all the places hard...just did a FC test and 52 drops so FC of 26...I am hoping to break a couple million biofilms

I'll post back on the progression of tests...thanks again

well, we are getting massive rain from tropical depression - I'm leaving the pump on to stir-up chemicals, but I'm sure my FC is also going out the drain as well, pH is probably being radically raised...I guess on the plus side, zero sun to break down CL and I've cleaned out the pool of anything and the skimmers...But, w this rain, I'm probably going to get 100's of earthworms over night...

If the rains continue to train w heavy downpours, is there anything I can do to modify my SLAM? thank you

Maintain the FC. Your Pool does not care if it rains, it is already wet. You may get wet adding chlorine though.

Relax. Rain seldom has much drastic effect on a pool. What are you draining? Is your pool overflowing?

We had about 3" of rain and the water went over the pool drain to almost coping and now this morning is level at the bottom of the drain. Added another 121 oz of 8,25% late last night when water was finally at bottom of pool side drain.

Scooped out 2-3 dozen earth worms this am and did an FC test at 745am and FC=29...the pump is running steady at 1050 rpms...skimmers and pool/spa/pump basket are all 100% debris free...I'll keep the FC at 20 or greater and do FC loss test tonight...since 100% cloudy, no FC loss due to UV...Seems to be working - no signs of mustard algae. I'll brush her again late this afternoon.

Thank you guys, tstex

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.