Measure Pump Motor Temp - Recommendation?

YesRushGen

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2008
Suffolk, VA, US
I'd like to measure my pump's motor while operating for "peace of mind." There are no loud noises that would suggest bearing failure, it runs as quietly as when it was new 3 years ago. No seal plate leaks either. However, I can only touch it for about 1 second before reflexes take over. (I'm naturally heat intolerant though)

Would this be a good unit to purchase? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0727WYCYF/ref=emc_b_5_t

It supports adjustable emissivity, although I'm not sure what value to use. Is the motor housing aluminum? steel? My motor is a Centurian B2848, 1HP, 1.65 SF.

Any better suggestions for an infrared thermometer?

Oh, as an aside - I do plan to inspect and clean the impeller soon. I've just "decommissioned" my equipment pad for a liner replacement job so that I can make other pro-active repairs during the liner install. Perfect time to pull the pump apart and inspect!

Thanks,
Kelly

A pump motor or any electric motor for that matter should not be hot/ burning to the touch. If it is that hot your motor is on its way to failing.

A few possible issues.

1. Low voltage. TEST when motor both static and when running to make sure its getting 115-120 volts. If its running low say 95-110 it will overload the motor.
2. Impeller is bound with debris. TEST make sure impeller moves freely without any binding. It also could be damaged.
3. Windings or the internal copper in the pump motor is damaged. Motors fail for many reasons. Even new ones.

If it keeps running hot it is sure to fail sooner rather than later. Heat kills electronics.

I would use an IR thermometer for a temperature reading.

However, I don't see the point. If the motor is overheating, the thermal limiter in the motor will shut it off anyway and then you will know. Also, there is really no way of knowing if the motor is running hotter than normal because you probably don't have a baseline reading of what normal would be. The "normal" temperature of a motor is highly variable and dependent on the load of the motor which is different for every setup.

Also check to make sure the pump motor is venting. If there is dirt, leaves pollen etc clogging up the air vent that will make it overheat and fail too.

There are a couple other possibilities but start with the simple ones.

Last is your pump in direct sunlight or is that adding to the heat. Change your run times to run earlier in the am etc to help.

I would use an IR thermometer for a temperature reading.

However, I don't see the point. If the motor is overheating, the thermal limiter in the motor will shut it off anyway and then you will know. Also, there is really no way of knowing if the motor is running hotter than normal because you probably don't have a baseline reading of what normal would be. The "normal" temperature of a motor is highly variable and dependent on the load of the motor which is different for every setup.

I run 17 electric motors in my woodworking shop from 3/4 to 15HP, single phase and 600V 3 phase. Above is the correct answer. Leave it and worry about something else i say. Good luck on the new liner.
P.S. I also would not take the motor / pump apart.

Assuming you are measuring surface temperature, in the shade, at air temperatures less than
90 F, I would give this as a rough guide:

Below 135 F, good
135 to 150 F, warm
Over 150 F, too hot.

I think that it's worthwhile to track motor temperature. You can also look for hot spots and you can track temperatures over time.

For example, if you see the temperature holding steady over time and then suddenly the temperature begins to rise, that can let you know that there might be a problem.

Just get any thermal IR temperature reader.

Another way to check performance is to measure amps and volts to make sure that they are within specifications.

Thanks everyone, advice seems to vary between a. don't worry about it, and b. if it's too hot to touch it's about to fail!

The pump runs 12 hours; 8am to 8pm. It's in direct sunlight for about 7 hours of the day during this time of year. There's definitely nothing blocking the air vents. I've turned the impeller by hand through the volute - it doesn't feel like it's binding at all, and I cant feel any debris in there.

I'm going to get an IR thermometer and test anyway. True, I don't have a baseline against which to compare. But what may be hot to me might be warm to someone else. (Heat sensitivity)

Sounds like a multi-meter might be a good idea too, if voltage/amps are out of spec wouldn't it be better to know? If they were out of spec, how would I know if there's a wiring problem vs. a problem with the motor itself?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.