Green pool/ Sand in pool

Jun 19, 2018
Camlachie
Just got a new pool put in and I am new to pools. So I don't know much about them. The pool people didn't do the prep work properly. Had a very hard rain and washed some sand in the pool, and the water is kind of a green tinge. Talked to them was told to shock it, which I did. Thinking now that that was a mistake. I'll do water test tonight and see what the levels are. Wish I found this site last night instead of today before I shocked it. Looking for some help. Thanks

Just got a new pool put in and I am new to pools. So I don't know much about them. The pool people didn't do the prep work properly. Had a very hard rain and washed some sand in the pool, and the water is kind of a green tinge. Talked to them was told to shock it, which I did. Thinking now that that was a mistake. I'll do water test tonight and see what the levels are. Wish I found this site last night instead of today before I shocked it. Looking for some help. Thanks

The funky color could be iron in the water. Is the fill water from a well?

You can create a signature and include your equipment/information which makes answering questions easier for us.

The first thing you should do is order one of the recommended test kits, so that you can properly test your water and take control of your new pool :) It will make your pool-ownership-experience much more pleasant!

Tested the water and no issues with it. However the sand is a different story. You can see down about 3 feet in the pool, can't see the bottom everything is all covered in fine dust. If that makes sense. Took the filter apart and cleaned the elements. I was told to shut everything off and let it settle but that doesn't seem to work. HELP!

Here are the water readings....FC 5ppm,Stabalizer 40ppm, Calcium 300ppm, PH 7.4, Alkalinity 120 ppm, Chlorine 5 ppm.

How did you test the water? (Pool store/test kit?)
If they are accurate, especially CYA, then your FC is way to low to clear your pool. You need to raise your FC up to 16 and hold it there, using the recommended chlorine and test kits.

Now, shocking a pool high in iron can cause the water to turn funky. It's a good idea to know that level - but not required. Be sure to use a "metal magnet" or sequesterant, if the greenish tint is due to iron.

We ended up getting a product called Pool Polish. Broadcast it over the pool water with the system off for 24 hours. This settled some of the dust to the bottom of the pool. Vacuumed the pool with the filter by passed, pumping the water out of the pool. This lowered the water about 10 inches. Installed new water. Repeated 2 more times and we are very close.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.