Intermatic timer quit working - FIXED

Jun 26, 2017
Tulsa, OK
We are new pool owners. Few months ago the timer quit working and we have been manually turning it on/off using the lever in timer. My husband thinks that there is not enough force for the tripper to turn the pump on/off when the dial reaches the desired time.

When I look through the "visual motor inspect" hole, I do not see anything moving. I can hear ticking sounds near the timer. Recorded it, but it is a .wav file and it is not allowed.

Is this something we can fix or should we call in a pool guy?

Thanks

AetfQgiaOvqmMT_THoHBFOo4GbLhMfszn8eLLLbM70KggBhWk2oNKmkkMuFCttfyaPujfcv15gICscu7-4Kvbjv4HB_-NlBGZJ1vabuqyZxPWFhiaAWBVe2q-dYWeD1ZXQDvXfudMQ8_1WoNr1gD8SzUv-l2CQPLkY1LLgy6eKhGjC62XftKjqAgu5mEG9QaieTU9oHDhGfvSJYle7WF8HXNn2Yb69DBeCS6imHNVMkV8ErMhJXGLvDrpfAYO8OER3Aw3lnRvw-KWZlyFO7xy-SvFtcGGXh6i8tAitk9mAH9EPbEZyEtD-cw6ogFS_5wztsJNequmx014u1Zul0-Mn4GrWFl64wfj4Eu_P9buaZ87fJrBFZdb0pxNCO6Acy0TnbzgYFSLnaBpdAtyhhng2kFzQesfLcdUvIUoMhBjEu8KbODLsIqrnGSWsdiYviNKmoC82j2qZyeszO9lc8qrv2q_9ymdmQe2-9JIZwq1a8kY0IlxebSkd73CgLC3qrt-MOc0OFccSEvBYowhc8GMlg--nYbMGM8u4GQVWy02v3nXEwj2Jk7R_ZgbxgVJaWNBtoQWwra3JrQzHpblsfBOw3AfFL_jikdyu-bpuPK=w1234-h925-no

Re: Intermatic timer quit working

Ticking sound means the clock motor is running. If the trippers are in good shape then I would assume a worn out or internal mechanical failure which might cost more than replacing the whole timer of the same model.

It might be cheaper to replace just the T104 timer and use the same enclosure. But I would suggest calling in an electrician if you're not confident working around with electricity.

Re: Intermatic timer quit working

I had the same issue about a month ago. I purchased the replacement Intermatic timer from Home Depot and was able to install it myself in about 30 minutes.

Be sure to turn off the breaker at the main fuse box.

Before disconnecting any wiring take the time to take a couple photographs and note where each wire was connected. I personally like to identify and tag each wire.

If you or your husband are comfortable changing a light switch or outlet then you will be able to handle this on your own without hiring an electrician.

Attached are a couple photos (as an example) of how I identified everything before disconnecting the wires and removing the old timer.

After detaching the wiring the timer mechanism is easily removed from my enclosure box by removing a few screws.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_1478.jpg
    IMG_1478.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1477.jpg
    IMG_1477.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1485.jpg
    IMG_1485.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Home Depot Intermatic.jpg
    Home Depot Intermatic.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 56
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.